Electric Meat Slicer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sack1971

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 30, 2023
Grey Eagle, MN
Can someone recommend an electric meat slicer. Should meat be somewhat frozen when slicing. This would be for jerky. I read not to use frozen meat, Totally thawed would get messy? Thank you.

Howdy, and welcome the forum from New Mexico.

If you specify you budget, it might help.

Don't think I would recommend the one I have for jerky. It's an Avantco.
Seems to be too much gap between the slider platform and the blade.
Meat gets pushed through there at end of the slide.
You need to keep flipping the meat.
I'd like something better myself.

Last edited:
We use a Lem 10 inch big bite and really like it! We make a fair amount of jerky, mostly from venison and never let it totally thaw before slicing it.

Ryan

Reactions: Steve H
We use a Lem 10 inch big bite and really like it! We make a fair amount of jerky, mostly from venison and never let it totally thaw before slicing it.

Ryan
Do you have any problems with the last little bit not cutting, and getting pushed in the opening between slicer body and the slider?
If you don't flip the meat over and put that at the front, it gets longer and longer.

Do you have any problems with the last little bit not cutting, and getting pushed in the opening between slicer body and the slider?
If you don't flip the meat over and put that at the front, it gets longer and longer.
We still flip every few slices... to get rid of that little tag.

Ryan

Reactions: 02ebz06
Can someone recommend an electric meat slicer. Should meat be somewhat frozen when slicing. This would be for jerky. I read not to use frozen meat, Totally thawed would get messy? Thank you.
I've had a Chefs Choice model 615A for about 8 years. I primarily use it to slice slab bacon into sliced bacon. The slab is thawed when I'm slicing it as, well, the next step is frying up the slices. It's a commercial grade unit. I've used it to slice semi frozen meat to make jerky as well.

If you specify you budget, it might help.

Before I look for a new one, I might journey thru craigslist and such.

Craigs List and Fakebook Market Place would be my first choice in my search...

If you can find a commercial one (Hobart,etc.) for a couple hundred dollars, that's the way I would go... As that is what I did

As it has been mentioned, Chefs Choice 615A is popular here...

Last edited:
Reactions: Lorenzoid
Our slicer has been in the family since the 70s. I inherited it from my parents. It's an old Oyster and it's still going strong.

1704051855845.png

Reactions: jcam222
Our slicer has been in the family since the 70s. I inherited it from my parents. It's an old Oyster and it's still going strong.

View attachment 684682
Things made with quality back then!

Happened upon this pic by accident... kinda shows how cold the meat still was ( partially frozen )

20211120_101553.jpg

Ryan

Things made with quality back then!
Granted it probably wouldn't have lasted as long as it had. If it was used on a daily basis for extended periods of time, but for cutting up the occasional boneless ham, pastrami or smoked roast for deli slices it served its purpose. Another selling point is it's light weight and can be stored in an upper kitchen cabinet. It's also pretty safe. You have to have your finger on the switch for the blade to work.

Chris

Reactions: Brokenhandle
I can highly recommend the medium sized 10" Cabela's commercial. My kid got me one when she worked there. It's a great slicer. Not light. I keep it on a rolling island so I'm not always moving it from point A to point B.

In hindsight the small 8.7 one would have been enough, but it was on sale AND she got the employee discount.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky