Electric Homemade, redneck looking and low cost.....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

marcosti

Original poster
Feb 1, 2011
New to Everything and helped by all of you guys...  Thanx for all help and suggestion for future improvement...

a273585e_DSCN2471.jpg

at the beginning

42b06348_DSCN2476.jpg

1953 International harvester found at junkyard....

2dffda3d_DSCN2478.jpg

the interior...

fce1fde9_DSCN2482.jpg

starting to taking everuthing out...

e1364f9d_DSCN2485.jpg

caff4331_DSCN2488.jpg

the outside shell

36e4ccf4_DSCN2494.jpg

the inside after welding all holes shut and installing bars for rack...
6d80d00f_DSCN2504.jpg

Holes for chimney, Bradley smoke generator and bottom draft (made from home grill duck and grill )

e127a961_DSCN2507.jpg

after installing some aluminium to cover everything inside

79e53f20_DSCN2512.jpg

oops I forgot to say that I filled everything with ROXUL...

1df69182_DSCN2514.jpg

everything is riveted together, and did some spray paint test....

0a12fe66_DSCN2519.jpg

added a broiling element from a kitchen oven ( 2500 W I think ) working on 240 V but modified my way !!!

4b864f28_DSCN2522.jpg

I used the control from the Oven and I used all new wires...  I splitted 2 wire (from different breaker) and joined them into one wire to feed my element...  I could give more info if you need to....

813463d8_DSCN2521.jpg

The control box with breaker and temperature dial for inside temperature of the smoker....  

fa2d9c21_DSCN2515.jpg

Final appereance with paint...

3fe2d656_DSCN2517.jpg

took some wood stove rope to close the gap all around the door..

60f57ddc_DSCN2520.jpg

paint job....

Okay, so here is my project....  1953 international harvester fridge found at the junkyark, bradley smoke generator, oven broiling element for heating ( I get it up to 450 F in 20 minutes) all at really low cost but lots of labor  and lots of research.  Please give me you feedback about what you think and I would be glad to help anyone to finish his project by showing mine...  Sorry for the English writing, I am canadian french...

Hope it helps you....

Nice looking build for sure. Wow 450 in 20 min is impressive but most of us here are smoking in the low to mid 200's.  You could also get an AMNS and do some cold smoking in that unit . Looks like you are in for some fun

Nice job!!! Great looking build! I got a old frigde in my shop that i keep waiting for it to die....but since my grandmother bought it brand new and its still running good after 40 yrs...odds are that i'll be waiting along time!!!!lol

I was just saying that I can get it to 450 F in 20 minutes...  It was just a test...  I cook at around 200F all the time.  It keeps its heat good ( just like a kitchen oven)  And the smoker is great for cold smoking as well, I just don't use the electric element and It make PERFECT cheese !

Very nice.

Thanks for the post!!

Craig

Nice! Building a '55 IH into a charcoal smoker myself, I love how stout these things are.

Really awesome paint job as well.

Any reason you went with the Bradley generator?

Great job overall especially on the control.

So are you saying you can you can smoke low and slow around 225⁰ for hours and kick it up to 375⁰ to finish off or crisp up bacon or skin?

Is it 110 or 220 volt?

Thanks for your compliment...  It is working on 220 volts but I use two input of 110 volt to make it work.  I cook at 225 all the time but it is a good idea to finish it at 375 ish...  I made some pork tenderloin last weekend, WOW !!!  I had 4 people over for supper and 4 tenderloin was not enough...  So perfect !!

Congrats, nice looking smoker, great research and craftsmanship, ambient to 450° in 20 minutes, that my friend, is what we call in the drag racing world, "a sleeper!"

Gene

Congrats, nice looking smoker, great research and craftsmanship, ambient to 450° in 20 minutes, that my friend, is what we call in the drag racing world, "a sleeper!"

Gene
I can see it now, theres going to be a whole new level to achieve. 

LOL Holding a beer and saying hey man I bet my smoker gets hot faster then yours!!!!!!!! 

Very nice job on the conversion, the paint is way cool. 

Nothing redneck looking there at all.... great job! Looks like you did a great job putting all that together and  have the results to prove it!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky