• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Electric burner question.

uncle eddie

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined May 14, 2016
Nothing to add to your setup except maybe some heat shielding down near the burners.  I have managed to get a foil-lined tight-box set-up to 140F using heat lamps (for drying dirt samples)...but the burners you have seem that they would be easier to set/maintain a temperature.  With the heat lamps we had on/off choices...no in-between.

pete mazz

Smoke Blower
Joined Oct 15, 2011
I use a single burner countertop model and put a small cast iron skillet on it with a big chunk of wood. Plenty of smoke and heat. My brother sent me an old PID he bought from a cheesemaker supply company that just has an outlet on the back that I'm going to try next instead of having to fiddle with the control knob.

cmayna

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 23, 2012
I converted two Big Chief smokers similar to what Pete did by installing a couple 1100 watt counter top burners and then plug them each into a PID controller.  Very easy to operate.  Very hands off.

oberst

Meat Mopper
Joined Jan 8, 2015
I have a setup like yours; I raise the heat by raising the burner. Cut a piece of plywood to fit snugly and put it on blocks to reduce the size of the box to the point your heat is right.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.