eggs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

busters bbq

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
Vermilion Bay Ontario
Lookin for ANY knowledge about smoking eggs. I friend told me last night hes had a smoked egg, left in the shell as if it was hard boiled, said it was odd tasting, with a hint of smoke. Has anyone tried this? or heard of this?

My idea was to make an omlet in my smoker. some egg, some brisket scraps, peppers, green onions, and some aged cheddar. one way to find out I guess!!!

THanks and Keep on Smokin!

I have never smoked an egg but have you checked out the Fatty forum. You could make a breakfast fattie, scrambled eggs, veggies, cheese inside of breakfast sausage. Kinda like an omelet and sausage all in one. But let me know if you smoke an omelet and how it turns out!!

You could try a variation of a marbled egg. I wonder if you would get the same penetration that the tea gets?

You can smoke them in the shell, but you won't get too much smokey flavor. Have you read smoked eggs thread yet? Says to boil them, peel em, and then smoke.

Let us know what you do and how it comes out. Pics would be great.

I have tried it with hard boiled eggs that have had the shells removed. Hickory smoke for about 20 minutes, then turn 180 degrees top to bottom and smoke for another 20 minutes. I used hickory, and while the eggs looked a little unappetizing, and the membrane on the outside was a little tough, the hickory put a light sweetness to the eggs, and everyone who tried one enjoyed them. Worth a try just to see if you like them. IMHO

If you smoke those hard boiled eggs longer than 20 minutes total, they will end up on the tough side.

that's what it is vlap.... interesting looking, and keep the temps relatively low to avoid overcooking the egg... being a semi-solid, it holds smoke well... so it doesn't take long... I'm going to do it this weekend and will post the results, along with some other pics from past smokes

Have done eggs a number of times. I usually cold smoke at the same time I do cheeses. Keep it under 100 degrees and in 20 or so minutes take them out and put them in a ziplock in the fridge overnite they are fantastic and this is where my big chief really shines.

You could always hard boil some eggs, then wrap them in bacon! Take em off the smoker when the bacon is done. Haven't tried it b-fore, but doesn't everyone love eggs and bacon??
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

so im new to the forums, but this is just amazing, thanks for all the replys and tips, i will be sure to post pics.

I did do up an 8 egg omlet this morning - sprayed my foil pan real good, then put my egg/fresh pulled pork/veggies/cheese in it and smoked it at 225 for about 2-3 hours, i lose track of time easily in the restaurant. it turned out delicious, although next time i will leave the cheese out and add at the end as it cooked to my pan and made the presentation not so nice. I also might consider flipping it half way as the bottom was fully cooked but pretty wet still.

KEEP ON SMOKING.

sorry no pics

You could cut them in half like deviled eggs, stuff them with whatever, then wrap them in bacon-like a breakfast abt (sort of)

Or stuff the egg with jalapeno, then wrap in bacon-then it is like an inside out abts. Could be good.

hmmm... I've done eggs over the campfire before (it's hard to keep 'em from blowing up), but I've never thought about smoking them! Good idea, have to give it a try one of these days.

Here's what happens when you smoke eggs and mix it with alcohol! After our family golf outing my cousin came to my house he wanted me to smoke some eggs...we had picked up 7 dozen. Now remember we've been drinking since 8:00am... I got the fire started and we loaded the eggs into my GOSM... Now I turned my back for maybe 1 minute...when I turned around he decide to stoke the fire for me
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif
Yes all my smoking wood went into it all at once!
eek.gif
I went to check the temp...yup 400 and it sounds like a machine gun going off in my smoker...very few survivors....I will give him credit he ate 10 of the blown up ones
eek.gif
Not a pretty site!!! LOL!!!

I usually throw a 1/2 dozen eggs in the smoker when it is going. I put them in shells and all. 4-6 hours at about 200 degrees. I look for the shells to get nice and brown. They dont get a lot of flavor, but why boil them in water when the smoker is going!!!

My son from Colorado Springs called and said a co-worker brought a dozen smoked eggs to work and they almost had a feight over them,
they were delicious. First hard boil the eggs and put in smoker until they turn light brown and remove. Or you can cook them in the shell over low heat but the smoke taste is not as good. Smoking over high heat will cause mini explosions and a clean up mess.

I have smoked eggs in the shell with no problems. I use my smokin tex electric. put eggs in the smoker then turn the smoker on and set at 225 deg F I smoke them for 1 - 1 1/2 hrs and pull them out. I actually get some smoke color on the egg and a mild smoky taste, make great deviled eggs (I always use a little horse radish in the filling adds a nice kick)
and yes the high temps will cause them to erupt the lower temps will also if cold eggs are tossed in a 225 deg smoker. I always warm the eggs to room temp.

I use the boil and peel method. I would recommend not to cut them half. They will get tuff. I also Ditto the horse radish with a sprinkle of garlic powder after.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky