Eggplant Beef Burgers with Peppers and Onions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sqwib

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 25, 2007
Philadelphia
July 19th, 2016

Eggplant Beef Burgers with Peppers and Onions
 ​

I wanted to try this for a while, I figured the eggplant would keep the 80/20 burgers from shrinking too much when cooked add a good texture and hopefully keep the meat moist.

• First a little weigh in for my Brandywine Red.

• I finally got to use some of my new toys, man I love the new MyCocina ceramic vegetable peeler. For the mix I used two striped eggplants, one meatball eggplant, one bell pepper, one Anaheim pepper and half a store bought onion. Veggies are sliced, diced, grated for the burger.

• All three eggplants were shredded, then rinsed under a colander to remove most of the seeds, some of the center of the Striped Eggplants were scraped of seeds for next years garden. After the eggplant was shredded and rinsed I gave it a good squeeze to remove excess moisture. Next time I make these I am going to saute the veggies with some fresh garlic, with the exception of the onion and cool before making the burgers.

• Everything is tossed into a large pot.

• A 1/4 cup of my Philly Style Rub is worked in.

• Time to call the wife into the kitchen to make the patties.

• She also got to cook them.

• I wasn't feeling all kindsa crazy with my toppings, I usually top with some horseradish, jalapenos, French's Fried Onions and some Worcestershire sauce. Tonight burger was very basic, ketchup, mustard, mater, cheese and spicy pickles.

That looks fantastic.     Never had egg plant before.

Glad to see I am not the only one that still eats smile fries.

Oh Boy!!
drool.gif

I'm Betting those are Awesome!
drool.gif
----
points.gif

I love Eggplant & everybody knows I love Burgers, so what's to not like??? 
icon14.gif

Makes me wish I was still working in & around Philly!!!

Bear

I love burger and eggplant, so I'll bet that combo rocked! It looks great in the pic. What are your thoughts on the end results?
As far as flavor it didn't add much, but texture and moisture were spot on. Burgers didn't shrink much and we're extremely moist. It's definitely worth it if you got extra eggplant but if eggplant is scarce, use it for Caponata, eggplant lasagna or simple fried eggplant.
I have done this with fried eggplant... chopped and added to ground meat, now that's where the eggplant shines. You can also chop extra fried eggplant for stuffed peppers, dam they're good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky