Educational Smoke (my try at Chili fatties)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rugsrme

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Marshall, MO
I learned a few things today when I smoked some fatties.  I saw the recent thread on the chili fatties and wanted to try one.  I learned that:

Thicker chili works better. The one that split open was very tough to roll, wrap and put on the smoker, I rolled the other one first with a slotted spoon, and the other was way more soupier.

When I lifted the lid to take a look, I saw the split one and was bumbed but it held that shape.  I was bumbed, but learned.

Bacon can be too thick or too thin depending on what you wrap it around.  I got good bacon sliced at a meat shop it was nice and thick, good looking bacon, I used it for the jatties.  I had a package of cheep thin stuff from wall mart I used it for the ATB's.  Hind sight, I would have done the opposite.

There is a reason that you use toothpicks in your bacon on ATB's
redface.gif

Any way, not total success technique wise, with the preparation of the food, but I did get my UDS to do a good TBS even in the wind, I cut way down on the amount of wood I've been using and the smoke was perfect.

It's ugly, but it all tastes great
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Later,

Q

2d80ac7f_IMAG0106.jpg

5e92434f_IMAG0107.jpg

If it tasted good to you and your family, that is all that matters.

Experienced smokers are learning too.  I think if I stop learning this won't be fun any more, and then I will realize how much work it is.

icon_cool.gif

Now I really like the fattie that broke open. It looks like you planned it almost like a stuffed potato. Now like theses othe guys have said f it taste good eat it and enjoy it.

icon_cool.gif

Now I really like the fattie that broke open. It looks like you planned it almost like a stuffed potato. Now like theses othe guys have said f it taste good eat it and enjoy it.
Yea, It has had me thinking, it was kinda like a bowl, the cheese worked it's way to the top. I have been thinking of doing something like this on purpose.  I thought of a thick beef soup served over egg noodles, kinda like beef strogenof (or however you spell it
icon_rolleyes.gif
)or even a thick marinara sauce and served over spaghetti noodles, mac-n-cheese?? The possibilities are endless!!

Only challenge is finding something to put my sausage in to pour filling in and get it wrapped up (rolling that one was no fun, I almost scratched it), then just put a small slit in the top of the fattie to allow it to spread open while smoking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky