(edited) Is this really a pork sirloin roast & how to cook??? (5 lbs)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I just paid $.88/lb for bone in pork sirloin roast yesterday.

Researching how to smoke it and it seems simple enough. Now going to have to figure out how to slice it with the bones and such.
WOW !!  88 cents !!??  Now that's what I'm talking about!!  Where did you find that??  And yeah...the bone.  Wondering the same thing...how to slice it up.  And glad you reminded me. Need to take a good look at it now, before it's cooked so I can remember how it's "put together"...

Ok...back on the PC now. 

The method I was talking is for in the oven but I figure my grill can do basically the same thing.  It is supposed to compensate for getting the inner meat, near the bone, to cook without drying out the outer meat.  It comes from Cook's Illustrated but is from Big Daddy's Kitchen (some site I found).

So you start out at 425, cook for 35 mins (for 5-6 lb roast) but then remove it and let rest for another 35 mins (doesn't say whether to tent it or not?).  Reduce heat to 325.  During this time, internal temp will continue to rise up to 30 degrees as residual heat from bone cooks adjacent meat, allowing it to cook from inside out.

Then return roast to cook for another hour to hour and 15 mins or until IT reaches 145.

Then (of course) LET REST for 20 mins, at which point IT should be about 155.

Point to explaining all this is -- that fat cap won't have much time to crisp up so that's why I'm wondering if I should shave some off the thicker part?  Although maybe leaving it really thick would help 'insulate' the outer meat?

Please don't tell me I'm overthinking this 
hit.gif
  I KNOW I am...lol.  But really, I'm just trying to learn the science around cooking a leaner cut of meat.  I have really only done ribs and butts and whole chickens so far, and that's low and slow. 

Thanx again all !!

After looking at a lot of posts.....you're... OVER thinking this.

As far as cutting.. I've seen a few posts to where they just cut them in chops after smoking. But I'm wondering if mine/yours has that "chine bone"..whatever and wherever it is and if it stops one from cutting chops.

Albertsons has them for $.88... I picked up 6.. and depending on how this turns out tomorrow night.. might be back for a lot more!

Last edited:
After looking at a lot of posts.....you're... OVER thinking this.

As far as cutting.. I've seen a few posts to where they just cut them in chops after smoking. But I'm wondering if mine/yours has that "chine bone"..whatever and wherever it is and if it stops one from cutting chops.

Albertsons has them for $.88... I picked up 6.. and depending on how this turns out tomorrow night.. might be back for a lot more!
LOL !!  You musta sent this before my previous post posted.  Like I said, I know I am.  It's just my nature to be a perfectionist, for one thing....lol...but also I'm just trying to learn the principles of cooking a lean cut of meat.  AND, I figure all the advice I get can always help someone else out later on...

We don't have Albertson's here in VA.  
th_crybaby2.gif
  Wish we DID !!! 

cut that bone outta there. easy peasy..... then you wont have to worry about slicing thru a bone.
The chine bone you mean? Got a step by step?

Bonnie B.. no, I saw your post..I intentionally said that for the sarcasm factor.

Good Luck..don't forget to show us some qview and how you got it sliced, etc.

Hi Bonnie!!!

Your plan sounds good, but I don't know much about temps over 275*, since my MES maxes out at 275*..

However, I wouldn't let that Pork go up past 145* to 150*.

Bear

Bonnie B.. no, I saw your post..I intentionally said that for the sarcasm factor.

Good Luck..don't forget to show us some qview and how you got it sliced, etc.
Ahhh....you were doing one of these ---> 
smiley_snowball.gif
Ya see, not only am  I a perfectionist, apparently I'm also a bit dense...lol.  Gonna try to figure out how to get pics from my phone to here via my PC (hate posting to this site from phone). 

I'm curious about that bone, too.  And I'm guessing T&B meant cut it out AFTER it's cooked, right?               

Hi Bonnie!!!

Your plan sounds good, but I don't know much about temps over 275*, since my MES maxes out at 275*..

However, I wouldn't let that Pork go up past 145* to 150*.

Bear
Yeah, I really miss not having a smoker.  I almost bought a used MES this past winter off Craig's List.  The guy was even including the wood stand he built for it which was sweet !!  He had about $100 worth of lumber tied up in just that stand.  But then I realized I wouldn't have anywhere for it since I already have my grill on my front porch and I have no garage.  OH WELL...

And I'm having a heck of a time getting used to the gas Char-Griller temps.  It has a therm in the hood, which I've read many times not to trust.  But my Maverick internal grill therm's ceramic thingy on the probe disintergrated so I don't have that to use (a replacement costs nearly as much as a new unit !)

So for the time being, I've been using an oven therm inside the grill, but then of course you have to open the hood to read it.  There is about a 10 degree difference between the two and I'm guessing that's cuz the oven therm is sitting next to the heat source whereas the hood one is reading the internal temp of air in the grill.  So all in all, I guess it IS fairly accurate. 

And you're right about the temp of 145* to 150*.  That seems to be the general consensus in most of the recipes, too.

Bonnie

Yeah, I really miss not having a smoker.  I almost bought a used MES this past winter off Craig's List.  The guy was even including the wood stand he built for it which was sweet !!  He had about $100 worth of lumber tied up in just that stand.  But then I realized I wouldn't have anywhere for it since I already have my grill on my front porch and I have no garage.  OH WELL...

And I'm having a heck of a time getting used to the gas Char-Griller temps.  It has a therm in the hood, which I've read many times not to trust.  But my Maverick internal grill therm's ceramic thingy on the probe disintergrated so I don't have that to use (a replacement costs nearly as much as a new unit !)

So for the time being, I've been using an oven therm inside the grill, but then of course you have to open the hood to read it.  There is about a 10 degree difference between the two and I'm guessing that's cuz the oven therm is sitting next to the heat source whereas the hood one is reading the internal temp of air in the grill.  So all in all, I guess it IS fairly accurate. 

And you're right about the temp of 145* to 150*.  That seems to be the general consensus in most of the recipes, too.

Bonnie
USDA used to say Whole meat Pork wasn't safe until 160* IT. Then in May, 2011, they changed their tune to 145* IT. Things used to dry out a bit getting it to 160* !!!!

Bear

Bear

USDA used to say Whole meat Pork wasn't safe until 160* IT. Then in May, 2011, they changed their tune to 145* IT. Things used to dry out a bit getting it to 160* !!!!

Bear
It sure diddry out !!  I honestly didn't know the USDA changed it, altho I have always cooked mine less than most people, like when doing chops on the stove.  And I have a friend who still freaks when I do that and it's slightly pink (not rare) and juicy.  So don't eat it, I say....lol.

Ahhh....you were doing one of these ---> 
smiley_snowball.gif
Ya see, not only am  I a perfectionist, apparently I'm also a bit dense...lol.  Gonna try to figure out how to get pics from my phone to here via my PC (hate posting to this site from phone). 

I'm curious about that bone, too.  And I'm guessing T&B meant cut it out AFTER it's cooked, right?               
I think he meant to debone the roast first, then tie it up and smoke it.

I might take a shot at deboning, but I'll probably wuss out and just cook it whole.....if someone would hurry up and cook theirs and show us some qview of the slicing.
biggrin.gif

I think he meant to debone the roast first, then tie it up and smoke it.

I might take a shot at deboning, but I'll probably wuss out and just cook it whole.....if someone would hurry up and cook theirs and show us some qview of the slicing.
biggrin.gif
Yeah, think you're right.  I was Googlin' and found basically the same explanation (altho I don't think mine had any 'chine' bone from pics I saw).  But I'd already marinated mine, so too slippery to attempt. 

And been trying to get this dinosaur of a PC to 'play nice' with posting pics (sent from cell to PC) but after getting about 6 to show up in the post, the entire post crapped out on me.  Soooo, I'm not happy.....lol.

But at least here's a pic of mine after the first 35 mins (using the method I spoke of earlier, with grilling at high heat then taking off for another 35 mins).  I DID mess up and thought it said 425 but it said 475.  So I upped the temp and adjusted the time a bit.  So that's my excuse if I screw it up....lol.  But looks GOOD to me !!  I'm very excited !!!

Well, let me retract that pic promise.  Will have to send it directly from phone.  Still not working right....???

Cell phone doesnt wana play nice either. tryin again...

this is rubbed & ready. i did end up triming some of the fat and scoring it so marinade & rub could penetrate:

here it is after 45 mins of 425/475 and then took off like recipe i spoke of earlier:

Fat is nice and crispy. Took IT after it sat 15 mins or so. Was 100. Took again juat before putting bk on and it rose 20* so guess recipe was right. I messed up and started @ 425, not 475 (adjusted when. I realized) so prob why it didn't rise the 30* it was sposed to.

Now back on @ 325. It said hr to hr 15, but I'm chking after 45 cuz the little bit of juices that ran out didn't look bloody!!

Fingers crossed. I'm still baffled as to how to cut this baby up. Wish I knew how to the bone or bones ran through it???

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky