Eating Clean Recipes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bauchjw

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Aug 3, 2015
Alexandria, VA
I’ve started my semi annual 30 days of clean eating, AKA Whole 30, over the weekend and decided to try this go with more interesting food than my usual veggie day followed by salt and pepper chicken diner. Partially because I want to stay active here🤣 maybe offer something, nothing at jcam222 jcam222 black belt Keto level though! Whole 30 is too hard to explain, and boring, so I’ll just say my big focus is staying away from any dairy, then carbs and sugar that aren’t natural in fruits or veggies. I found a Whole 30 compliant jerk sauce, so for diner tonight it was my Tamarindo Jerk Jamaican Stir Fry, no recipe….made up.
Sliced pepper, carrots, onion, celery, garlic, in pan with smoking hot salted Ghee, stir a bit.
E4C54568-4050-46F3-A5EE-76EF12ED5442.jpeg

After a bit I threw on some S&P rubbed chicken I cooked on Traeger Sunday prepping for the week. After, chicken was warmed up, I poured in the Tamarindo Jerk sauce and stirred to coat and heat sauce. Then a bunch of Spinach to cook down with the mix.
9DDC10AA-F364-47C6-B1B0-148C95147FB6.jpeg

Then into the bowl for a great tasting, clean meal.
BEDF8E4B-512A-4C22-BD9B-2AAC014706BA.jpeg

Ok, not that exciting, but after a few days of veggies, fruit, and chicken your taste buds get real excited with some different flavors🤣 Would’ve been better to marinade the chicken overnight, but it’s a challenge being the only one eating like this and precooking plane protein keeps me from coming home tired and being tempted to cheat…..My wife’s homemade pizza was on the counter tonight!

I’m feeling inspired to try some new things with my current restrictions. No butter, cream, cheese, sugar…whew. I’ll try only posting ones I think are worthwhile.

Thanks for your time!

Sounds great, but...

ghee​

/ɡē/​

noun
  • 1.clarified butter made from the milk of a buffalo or cow
Isnt ghee butter?

On this diet Ghee is allowed. Butter has the milk proteins that aren’t allowed. Clarified butter or ghee is. You make it when butter is simmered slowly at low temp to separate milk solids from pure butterfat. You end up with dairy free fat. Ghee is basically same as clarified butter, just simmered longer for a sweeter, nuttier flavor.

I know. The sideways looks and all the comments that come along with diets like this, but I have to make a certain weight twice a year and PT everyday. Knocking on the door of 50 with three young kids and the genes of a German Wurstmacher doesn’t make it easy. I have to reset my eating habits and be very restrictive a couple times a year because I don’t want to eat like an anorexic teen all the time.

Reactions: crazymoon and mlk18
My mistake.. sorry
No worries! Didn’t mean to sound so defensive. Until I started this thing a few years ago I didn’t think there was a difference. I remember when clarified butter, red meat, and tallow or bacon grease was the same level as two packs of Marlboro Reds a day. Now all my guys who are CrossFit, ultra marathon, fitness fanatics eat red meat cooked in tallow and have their veggies with Ghee. I guess sugars, complex carbs, and dairy is the enemy now…until.

Reactions: TH-n-PA
It does look good! And good for you for being disciplined to do it! Can you pass me a plate please...uummm, of your wife's homemade pizza! :emoji_grin: You know I just had to! Lol

Ryan

• Haha
Reactions: xray and bauchjw
I applaud you. I’ve been eating clean and doing intermittent fasting. I lost 40 lbs with no exercise. I hit a plateau and starting hiking in the nearby hills 5-6 miles a day, every day and lost another 30. Why I’m frequenting this forum and why I’m still smoking meat is beyond me. I’m eating a ton of grilled chicken breasts for my protein and nothing but fruit and veggies with some bulgar and some beans. And, like you said, it’s hard not cheating but we got rid of all the cheating stuff and cleaned out the pantry. Can’t cheat if it’s not in the house.

Looks delicious! I frequently cook Asian food and really liked a lot of Nom Nom Paleo recipes. Her Whole 30 Sriracha was a condiment lifesaver for those 30 days!

Reactions: bauchjw
I think that’s an excellent looking dinner, Jed. I try and tend to eat like this once Spring hits because I just start craving fresh and light flavors, so I drop quite a few pounds before it gets colder again.

I’ll be on the lookout for more of your ideas because some stuff gets quickly repetitive.

Looks great Jed, I have to look into this a bit, what usually happens after the 30 days? I assume weight loss? Wouldn't it just fly back on in the next couple months? What about alcohol or diet drinks is that allowed? Would be a deal killer for me if they are not...lol

Good for you. We try and eat fairly clean in general. Not sure my jerk recipe would qualify as it starts with a base of walkers wood. But jerk wings, mmmmmmm

• Haha
Diet or not; Your dish looks pretty good to me Jed.

:emoji_thumbsup:
:emoji_thumbsup:
Thank you!
It does look good! And good for you for being disciplined to do it! Can you pass me a plate please...uummm, of your wife's homemade pizza! :emoji_grin: You know I just had to! Lol

Ryan
Haha, the pizza looked awesome! Thankfully the kids ate it all!
I applaud you. I’ve been eating clean and doing intermittent fasting. I lost 40 lbs with no exercise. I hit a plateau and starting hiking in the nearby hills 5-6 miles a day, every day and lost another 30. Why I’m frequenting this forum and why I’m still smoking meat is beyond me. I’m eating a ton of grilled chicken breasts for my protein and nothing but fruit and veggies with some bulgar and some beans. And, like you said, it’s hard not cheating but we got rid of all the cheating stuff and cleaned out the pantry. Can’t cheat if it’s not in the house.
That is an awesome journey! Congrats! I’ve assumed you are a pilot based on your avatar? My pilot buddies struggle due to the travel/schedule. I exercise a lot, but my body requires a pretty strict diet to maintain or drop weight, so I tend to go on a 6 month cycle with the last two months being the most unhealthy and use Whole 30 to reset. With 3 young kids and a wide that isn’t into it I tend to be on my own with these things, but have to for work and health.
Looks delicious! I frequently cook Asian food and really liked a lot of Nom Nom Paleo recipes. Her Whole 30 Sriracha was a condiment lifesaver for those 30 days!
Yes! The past few years of doing this I tended to be pretty Spartan, but this go I’ve decided to try some fun stuff and that siracha is on my list! She does have some great recipes!

That looks like a perfect diet dish!
Are you doing this for only 30 days, or is this a lifestyle change?
Al
Thank you Al! This program is only for 30 days to reset cravings and habits. I used to eat very healthy all the time, but between work stress and small kids it’s been a challenge, even with some meatless days each week. So the past few years I do a 6 month cycle starting with a whole 30 to reset, followed by a few months of clean eating with some cheat days allowed followed by a “release the kraken” period. It’s not rigid, but generally follows that cycle. Even with 1st class fitness tests I have to make a specific weight a few times a year and it’s been getting more and more difficult. But, I try my best to keep a healthy lifestyle, it just falls off the rails sometimes and for me a strict period of time to reset works better than a gradual shift.
I think that’s an excellent looking dinner, Jed. I try and tend to eat like this once Spring hits because I just start craving fresh and light flavors, so I drop quite a few pounds before it gets colder again.

I’ll be on the lookout for more of your ideas because some stuff gets quickly repetitive.
Thank you Ray! Yes, Spring does inspire getting after some healthier options, but winter comfort food is still my favorite!
Looks great Jed, I have to look into this a bit, what usually happens after the 30 days? I assume weight loss? Wouldn't it just fly back on in the next couple months? What about alcohol or diet drinks is that allowed? Would be a deal killer for me if they are not...lol
Thank you! Well, yes, no alcohol or diet drinks. It’s not really a weight loss diet, more of a reset to break habits and establish a baseline again. Normally I do drop 5-10 pounds, but afterwards my urge to eat unhealthy is normally gone and I don’t want to eat 1/2 a pizza, etc. I normally ease back into a paleo type diet afterwards and allow some cheating on weekends. Then when I roll into the holidays or a summer vacation I go hog wild….and that’s usually when I need to reset myself again afterwards. It’s a strict eating plan, but that’s what I personally need to get back on track.
Good for you. We try and eat fairly clean in general. Not sure my jerk recipe would qualify as it starts with a base of walkers wood. But jerk wings, mmmmmmm
Thank you! 🤣I’m definitely not going to argue this is better than a regular jerk or yours! But, it’s tasty for me now! If you could share that recipe I’d love to try next month!!!

Reactions: G8trwood
Thank you! 🤣I’m definitely not going to argue this is better than a regular jerk or yours! But, it’s tasty for me now! If you could share that recipe I’d love to try next month!!!

Recipes are such a fluid thing. ;)

I typically use 1-2 teaspoons of walkers wood mild. The hot is really hot
2 cloves garlic grated
Ginger grated, more volume than garlic
Lime zest and juice, 1/2
1/2-1 cup tamari, low sodium
Splash of dark sesame oil

The top 3 are per pound of wings, it is great on thighs too. Ziplock for a few hours. Overnight is too long with the lime. Add some water if more liquid is needed.

Hot smoke at around 350

Jed, clean eating or not, that looks absolutely astonishing. Seriously, I am all over this. you know we love our veggies around here and when they are cooked we like them to still have some texture to them, not cooked to mush. It looks like you nailed these. The color and vibrancy of the pics...well, it just jumps off the screen onto my plate. I have a couple of Cornish hens I'll be cooking today but a derivative of this will be done tomorrow. I'll use pork and Jamaican jerk sauce but it will get cooked. Very well done sir!!

Robert

Looks like a really good meal Jed, and kudos to you for having the willpower to do this.

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky