Easy freezer meals

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokingUPnorth

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Dec 7, 2017
Michigan UP
Not even a one week into it, having two kids out of 3 in school. The evenings are flying by. And grilling out everyday is almost not an option. I was looking for some ideas of stuff you guys make that you freeze and can pull out of the freezer for easy meals. I have 3 pork shoulders that I’m gonna smoke this weekend. How do ribs do after freezing? And any other ideas you guys/gals do for frozen meals that I can cook a head of time? Also Planning on making a big batch of sloppy joe, and spaghetti sauce. Since those are pretty much easy to reheat.

Not even a one week into it, having two kids out of 3 in school. The evenings are flying by. And grilling out everyday is almost not an option. I was looking for some ideas of stuff you guys make that you freeze and can pull out of the freezer for easy meals. I have 3 pork shoulders that I’m gonna smoke this weekend. How do ribs do after freezing? And any other ideas you guys/gals do for frozen meals that I can cook a head of time? Also Planning on making a big batch of sloppy joe, and spaghetti sauce. Since those are pretty much easy to reheat.

Not a soup person, but that seems to do well.

What about stir fry? Beef stroganoff? Pot roast?

We always have some packages of pulled pork in the freezer and it's a quick easy warmup for sandwiches, fries and slaw.
Our favorite, though, is a few slices of brisket warmed up in brown gravy served with mashed potatoes.
I don't know about ribs. Never had enough left over to freeze, but I imagine a microwave would work fine.

lasagna .. i have a deep dish lasagna stoneware pan and hold lotsa meals. make it cut into pcs and vac seal. microwave frozen or bake or water bath. ribs do freeze nice i put a little broth in the vac seal bag. i do spares n st louis style not many baby backs just to much coin. and since your doing butt's a good pork stew , enchiladas , burrito's, or beef freeze nicley and use lasagna pan to make more.. i ts only 2 of us now but i still fill my dutch oven to the top n vac seal. oh pot pies of any meat freeze nice

Any strong likes/dislikes that you're looking to cater to?

- Most soups and sauces definitely do well. It's amazing how many different directions you can take a base of [meat] (optional) and [grain] with [veg] (mixed in or separate) just by switching up the sauce. Liquids (or semi-liquids) are convenient, because you can freeze them in precise serving sizes.
- Dumplings, sausage, pastas, and burritos also tend to work well. For a time, I used to freeze cornbread, deep-fried mac-&-cheese balls, and/or egg muffins that I could take with me when I left the house, because of how easy they were to reheat and eat later (best with a little hot sauce!).
- If I'm going to freeze cooked meats, I usually prefer using shredded or ground meat to whole or sliced.
- Fruits and veggies generally suffer (water expands when it freezes and can burst the cell walls, making the plant limp and overall texture less pleasant). In a few cases, though, you can leverage this to your advantage, such as with freezer jam or the scraps bound for stock, as flavor is more readily extracted after freezing/thawing. Commercially-frozen greens avoid this problem by being flash-frozen very quickly, at very low temperatures, which limits the size of the ice crystals. The oils/fats in mashed potatoes or hash browns help them retain moisture better than, say, baked potatoes.
- Cheese (except in sauce form) and eggs (except in scrambled form) generally do not freeze well.

A vacuum sealer is definitely your friend, as it helps save space and also prevents freezer burn (without one, try to freeze food with a minimum of air). Larger items can be tricky to reheat evenly. Water is generally the quickest and easiest way to defrost but another trick to defrosting is to just put it on an aluminum tray. The metal speeds along the heat transfer much faster than most countertop or cutting board surfaces; I use this approach for items that don't fit in my pots.

In the past I have marinated and grilled Chicken thighs.
Then vac sealed and frozen.

I find them less tough/dry than the breast meat, when defrosting (put the bag in a bowl of water) and reheating (in microwave)
And retains some of the flavor from the grill.

As they are marinated, they are good for pulling apart and having in a burrito.

Reactions: SmokingUPnorth
Soups are always good, tavern meat ( sloppy Joe's, loose meat sandwiches) whatever you want to call them. Shepherds pie is also good.

Ryan

I don't have a big family to cater to but chili freezes well, gumbo too (no rice, keep that for serving time) and as others said pulled pork. White beans n pork/sausage/tasso.

I have a whole freezer of vac packed meals in single & double portions. Pulled pork, pastrami, brisket, burgers, etc. Most of the meals are already cooked & those just get put into a pot of simmering water for an hour, and they taste just like they did right off the smoker.
Al

Thanks everyone. It’s crazy how much more work it is having two kids in separate schools. Starting at different times and ending at different times. But I appreciate the help. It will give us something to do on the weekends together and we can enjoy during the busy week!

I buy a family pack or two of chicken breasts and SV them sear just to add a little color then vacuum seal and freeze. You can defrost and add to salad for a good quick healthy meal lately we've been making Cesar Salad with chunks of chicken or make pulled chicken sandwiches, Lots of things you can make quickly with pulled pork. Smoked or grilled burgers freeze and reheat well.

Sloppy Joes
Chili
Beef-a-roni
Sausages (Smoked & Fresh)
Hot Dogs & Burgers
Unstuffed Peppers
Unstuffed Halupkis

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky