Easy Breakfast Sausage Rolls

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
...here's my quickie attempt this morning at reproducing Ray's masterpiece but with mods...tortillas instead of biscuits...
BTW, those were flour tortillas. I've been soaking them in egg batter quite a bit lately for miscellaneous breakfast creations. Well, yesterday I bought some small sausages and thought I'd try the smallest tortillas to wrap them in...which were corn tortillas. Big mistake. The corn ones just don't form the pastry-like goodness with egg like the flour ones do. More like just a crunchy piece of thin French toast. I've got about a dozen left over; will probably eat them up with peanut butter or with jelly like I eat FT.

Nice meals.
Empenada, meat patty, samosa, etc. Been my passion for years. Local truck stop (on my route to work) sells a pre-made flour tortilla wrapped around a meat, egg, and cheese filling that is heated fro the quick grab case.

My home made variant is bagel dogs. I make bread dough and wrap around around hot dogs or sausages, boil and bake. Good for a reheat eat.

View attachment 666391

One of my favorite YouTube channels is Glen and Friends Cooking. Recently he made sausage rolls using puff pastry. I wasn't about to make puff pastry, and when I got to the store I learned they didn't carry it.

As I stood looking at the canned biscuit section, inspiration hit. A cheap can of store brand, flaky, buttery, grand-size biscuits might work.

Saturday morning, time to see if this experiment was worth eating.

Prep time 20 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350°F.
Grab the bulk sausage from the fridge, or 4 cased sausages, case removed.
Lightly AP flour a work surface.
Make an egg wash with a beaten egg and a tablespoon of water.
Open the can of biscuits.
Dust both side of a biscuit with flour, then roll into a 6-7 inch round.
Place a 3" by 1" round of sausage in the middle of the biscuit round (or half a cased sausage).
Egg wash the edges of the flattened dough.
Fold over and press to seal with your fingers.
Use a fork to crimp the edges.
Place on a half baking sheet prepped with parchment paper.
Repeat 7 more times.
Bake for 18-20 minutes until the internal sausage temp is 165°F.
Rest 5 minutes.
My wife and I both loved this. We each ate two.
Enjoy!

View attachment 666392
Might give this a go at the weekend! Looks great.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky