Easter Sunday is my first smoke attempt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ryanc91

Original poster
Dec 31, 2015
What's going on guys? Tomorrow Easter Sunday will be my first attempt at smoking! I have 2 racks of ribs and 3 lbs of pork butt that have been sitting in a dry run since Tuesday. I have a brinkmann vertical smoker, royal oak charcoal and apple wood chips. Any helpful hints?! I'm excited and nervous at the same time lol!

First is to start with plenty of time, especially with the pork butt assuming your doing pulled pork as they can be stubborned at times. I usually cook ribs & pork butt round 250-275*. Make sure ya have a good thermometer to track the meat IT for the pork butt. Some folks will wrap round 155-165* IT to push thru the stall of the meat which can last a while. I personally do not wrap. I generally pull my pork butt for pulled pork round IT 200-205*. I'll then wrap the pork butt in a few layers of foil & wrap in a couple towels & toss in my camping cooler for at least an hour but generally a couple hrs to rest. The ribs, I just go by when the meat shrinks/pulls back from the ends of the bones. A member here SmokinAl has a thread bout testing the IT in between the ribs but you need a small handheld therm for that like a Thermowand or Thermopen. There's also a method you can use called the bend test or you could use a toothpick, when it slides in between the ribs with little resistance they are done. But if your going for more like fall off the bone ribs, you'll wanna wrap & maybe try the 3-2-1 method or the 2-2-1 method depending if they are babybacks or spares. You'll soon find the method that works the best to get the results you like. This is just my 2 cents here as others will chime in with theirs as well. That's what makes this site great is there is usually a variety of ways to do things & each has their own liking.

Any more questions, just ask !

Last edited:
Just an FYI, cook time is determined by thickness of the cut, not by weight.  A 3lb partial butt can take just as long as a full 8lb butt.  It all depends on how thick it is.  I'd start the butt early.  What temp will you be cooking at ? 

I'm gonna shoot for the 250-75 as previously mentioned. But I'm not quite sure, what's the consensus? It's not that big of a meat

I'm gonna shoot for the 250-75 as previously mentioned. But I'm not quite sure, what's the consensus? It's not that big of a meat
That temp is fine.   While the butt might seem small, it will still take some time even at 250-275.  I'm guessing that what you have is a partial/split butt.  Perhaps 3 to 4 inches thick on it's shortest "side" ?

Here's a whole boston butt:

Let's say that it's about 12 inches long (left to right), 8 inches deep (front to back) and 4 inches thick.  next, let's say that someone cut the butt in half right down the center from front to back.   End result would be 2 pieces of butt, each one would be about 6 inches from left to right, still 8 inches front to back and still 4 inches thick.      One of those two butts would take just as long to cook as the whole entire butt pictured above.   Why ?  Because the cook time for that butt is determined by the 4 inches of thickness. 

Start the butt early.   If it finishes faster than anticipated, let it cool a bit, wrap it in foil and hold it in a cooler.   You can hold it like that for hours while the ribs are finishing up.  It's better to have a butt finish early that to have a dinner ruined because the butt is taking too long.

Reactions: jeepsjeep
The butcher I go to is a smoker himself and told me the butt I'm cooking should take 8-10 hours. I'm so excited lol

Baby back. They've been in the rub for a few days. I'll be using the 3-2-1 method on them

If it's your first smoke I suggest do some ribs 3-2-1 and some no foil good to have variety to see which you prefer! Good luck and have fun!Thumbs Up

Good luck sir!! Smoking is fun and exciting as well as aggravating at times! I can only give you my short experience of start the butt early as mentioned above, I started mine late one day around 10 am and I was still waiting on it to finish around 2 a.m. Had a little smoker trouble! But have fun and experiment, that's part of the fun!

That temp is fine.   While the butt might seem small, it will still take some time even at 250-275.  I'm guessing that what you have is a partial/split butt.  Perhaps 3 to 4 inches thick on it's shortest "side" ?

Here's a whole boston butt:

Let's say that it's about 12 inches long (left to right), 8 inches deep (front to back) and 4 inches thick.  next, let's say that someone cut the butt in half right down the center from front to back.   End result would be 2 pieces of butt, each one would be about 6 inches from left to right, still 8 inches front to back and still 4 inches thick.      One of those two butts would take just as long to cook as the whole entire butt pictured above.   Why ?  Because the cook time for that butt is determined by the 4 inches of thickness. 

Start the butt early.   If it finishes faster than anticipated, let it cool a bit, wrap it in foil and hold it in a cooler.   You can hold it like that for hours while the ribs are finishing up.  It's better to have a butt finish early that to have a dinner ruined because the butt is taking too long.
Finished one......lol

Reactions: ryanc91
And we're off! Been going for about an hour and 20 minutes. Maintaining 240 ish for the time being!
Looks good, Ryan! With the babybacks you may want to consider 2-2-1 instead of 3-2-1. IMHO 240 is perfect for ribs, but as you've seen, everyone has their favorite methods that work for them. You'll find yours, too.
Happy Easter!
Dan

Reactions: ryanc91
Ribs are done and delicious!!! Did the 3-2-1 method and they are delicious, I'll try 2-2-1 next time just to experiment!
Pork butt still going for another 3!! Had no problem getting up to and maintaining heat!

Sorry for the tearing of the ribs. I couldn't resist :-)

Last edited:
Reactions: SmokyMose
Ribs are done and delicious!!! Did the 3-2-1 method and they are delicious, I'll try 2-2-1 next time just to experiment!
Pork butt still going for another 3!! Had no problem getting up to and maintaining heat!

Sorry for the tearing of the ribs. I couldn't resist :-)
You're forgiven...[emoji]128521[/emoji]
:points:
Dan

Great job Ryan.  And on the first smoke to boot!!

points.gif

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky