Easter Ham from Scratch

Discussion in 'Pork' started by bakerboy7, Apr 9, 2012.

1. bakerboy7

bakerboy7 Smoke Blower

When I saw Pops post from two years ago: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/89979/from-hog-leg-to-easter-ham, I just had to try it.  I started a little over a month ago with a 20# fresh hog leg that I picked up from the Restaurant Depot

[​IMG]

I asked Pops plenty of questions and prepared the brine according to his directions.

With the skin and excess fat removed, I cut off the shank at the joint and that will go in as well.

[​IMG]

Filled a zip top bag half full of water and into the fridge for 30 days in a food safe bucket that I got from our local donut shop

[​IMG]

Friday night, I took it out of the bucket and did a fry test.  We thought it was a little salty, so I soaked it for about five hours, changing the water three times.  Saturday morning, into the MES at 240 with a 75/25 mix of apple and hickory in the AMNPS

[​IMG]

Six hours later...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let it rest for about 30 minutes until I couldn't take it any longer

[​IMG]

This was easily the best ham that I have ever had.  I finished it for Easter with a simple glaze of ginger ale and brown sugar (kind of a family tradition).

Thanks to Pops as this would not have been possible without his wisdom and guidance.

2. rob989_69

rob989_69 Meat Mopper

That ham looks fantastic. I've been dying to try Pops recipe. Does it turn out more like the precooked hams or like a country ham?

3. big sexy

big sexy Smoke Blower

Looks great!

4. rbranstner

rbranstner Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looks awesome. I have always wanted to do one of Pops hams as well. I was kind of intimidated by reading how he had to inject the bring into the side of the bone  and what not so I haven't tried it. Did you inject the brine into the meat?

5. bakerboy7

bakerboy7 Smoke Blower

It was just like a high quality country ham. Nothing like one of the precooked hams that are pumped full of water.

Thanks! It was delicious and I enjoyed the process.

I did inject the brine. I only have a flavor injector needle and probably injected more brine around the bone that I needed to. I will purchase a good quality brining needle for the next one.
    It was so easy and recommend it to everyone.

6. nakom

nakom Fire Starter

Looked great I intend to start the process tonight on one of my the hog legs i recieved from my butchered hogs.  How do you know how much brine to inject?

7. jrod62

jrod62 Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member

Looks great. This is on my "to do list"

8. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

9. Looks fantastic! Great job.

10. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

Great Job! That is a very pretty Ham...I agree, I don't think I could let it rest too long before me and a Knife went crazy...JJ

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  11. bakerboy7

bakerboy7 Smoke Blower

Thanks Chef! That means a lot coming from you.