Dyna-glo signature series dgss 1382 vcs-d vert. offset smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gwanger

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 5, 2018
N. Illinois
Finally fired up my new dyna-glo, after using red rtv sealant on gaps in fire box whare it meets cc. I finally fired it up today,with a full load of charcoal and much anticipation. I threw in a couple of cutoffs from some apple wood. The fire maintained a temp of tween 250 deg.and 225 deg. for 4 hrs and just now dropping to 200 deg. I am very happy with that but now see I will have to stock up on charcoal. still working on pics, having problems with windows 10.I will have pics soon.I had better.

Reactions: JC in GB
Finally fired up my new dyna-glo, after using red rtv sealant on gaps in fire box whare it meets cc. I finally fired it up today,with a full load of charcoal and much anticipation. I threw in a couple of cutoffs from some apple wood. The fire maintained a temp of tween 250 deg.and 225 deg. for 4 hrs and just now dropping to 200 deg. I am very happy with that but now see I will have to stock up on charcoal. still working on pics, having problems with windows 10.I will have pics soon.I had better.

Have you done some cooking? How's that thing working?

Have you done some cooking? How's that thing working?
I have used the new dyna-glo numerous times since it is finally warm enough outside to smoke some meats.I have been using lump charcoal and briquettes and using minion method with and with out the use of a charcoal basket with different results.The lump charcoal without the coal basket gave me steady results tween 225* and 250* but needed to add charcoal every 45 min.Using the charcoal basket and minion method the Dna-glo needed 1 hr. to reach desired temps with temps holding steady longer but having to watch combustion air a little closer as the fire in minion basket increased but did give a longer burning fire, since then I have made western ribs, baby backs, ABT's twice and a bone in pork loin and recently 10 lbs.of andouille sausage for a friends craw fish boil tday. I want to smoke more sausage and have recently added a Flame Boss 300 to the arsenal to see if this helps with overnight cooks such as pork butts and brisket I want to see if temp controller will help controlling lower temps with sausage smoking.I haven't been totally locked into smoking meats lately been working on my 40 yr. old sports car and my new all electric beer maker my prior beer maker was propane and made step mashing almost impossible without PID controller.Thanks Rings for your inquiry and hope to have pics on my next smokes.

Cool man. I should be able to get one of those things to work good. Will let you know. Should have mine in a week or less. I got the wide one to do jerky. Only need temps to 150 or so and switch racks around in it to keep jerky drying evenly. Probably 6 hours per batch of jerky.. Will do some mods as I go. Later!! :cool:

Reactions: JC in GB
Cool man. I should be able to get one of those things to work good. Will let you know. Should have mine in a week or less. I got the wide one to do jerky. Only need temps to 150 or so and switch racks around in it to keep jerky drying evenly. Probably 6 hours per batch of jerky.. Will do some mods as I go. Later!! :cool:
I have the bigger offset, check where you fb goes into your cc, I had 1/8" gap all around it inside cc.Mine loses just a little smoke not enough to worry about.I know you will like it.Good luck and good smoking.I think yours has a charcoal basket I had to buy one with minion bars but glad I did.

Reactions: Rings Я Us
98640245-0D93-46A6-A769-F974B3A86AA9.jpeg
sorry to reboot this thread. just got one of these smokers from costco a month ago. have only done two test runs. mods i have made are the red rtv gasket maker all around the inside top of the chamber, all around the chimney where it screws to the top and and the water access door. and also the transfer from firebox to cooking chamber. used some fireplace type gasket around the door and firebox door as well. also have a clear gasket in the side for wireless temp probes. took the grates out of the firebox and put a sheet of expanded metal there instead. i have no interest in using the grill function

anyhow first burn i did went great. did a minion method type of burn but without a firebox or anything. took long to get to temp but it stayed at 250 for easily four hours and only added maybe half a chimney of charcoal.
my second attempt didn’t go as well. i had some t shaped steel plates made so i could totally fill the firebox and use a snake style minion method to hopefully do long smokes for brisket and shoulder. used half a chimney of lit coals got to temp fast but after about an hour or so the temps shot up near and over 300 with intake damper open maybe 1/8 and the exhaust about a 1/4. had a hard time keeping temps down for a while. after the firebox cooled i inspected it and discovered gaps all around the drawer like it got warped from the heat maybe. so either i used too much lit coal to start with or it’s getting excessive air due to the gaps.

how has anyone else with this smoker been getting stable temps? what methods are you using?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky