Dutch's "Wicked Baked Beans"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dutch

Smoking Guru
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Jul 7, 2005
Midvale, UT
WICKED BAKED BEANS
(Beans that will even make Chili Heads happy)

6-8 strips of bacon cut into 1/2 inch squares
1/2 Medium onion, diced
1/2 Bell pepper, diced
1 - 2 Jalapeno Peppers, diced (seeding is optional)
1 - 55 ounce can Bushs Baked Beans
1-8 ounce can of pineapple chunks, drained
1 Cup Brown Sugar, packed
1 Cup ketchup
1/2 - 1 Tbs. dry (ground) mustard

Saute bacon pieces in fry pan until crispy and remove from pan with a slotted spoon. Saute onion, bell pepper and jalapeno  pepper until tender.

In a large mixing bowl combine beans, pineapple, brown sugar, ketchup and dry mustard. Stir in bacon pieces and vegetables. Pour into a 12X9 or a deep 9X9 aluminum baking pan. (While mixing if things look dry, add additional ketchup 1/4 -1/2 cup at a time)

Place in a 220-250° smoker for 2 1/2 - 3 hours (make sure temperature of the baked beans reaches 160° ) or place in a 350° oven and bake for 1 hour.

NOTE: If you are making these beans as a side dish for Kansas City style pork ribs, smoke the removed skirt meat for 1-1 1/2 hours, then dice the skirt meat and stir into the Baked Beans.

DISCLAIMER

With the Jalapeno±o pepper and the dry mustard these beans have the potential for some MAJOR heat. CAUTION should be exercised when feeding these beans to small children and/or the elderly.

To make this recipe Family Friendly, omit the Jalapeno±o pepper and the dry mustard.

Addendum: In a recent message from eman (he makes these beans ALL THE TIME) he told be that in his last run of these beans the Bush beans had way more liquid than normal. If this is the case, you may want to drain some of the liquid from the beans (unless you really like them wet). YMMV

EDIT: 5/18/14: For those of you who plan on putting your beans in a dutch oven (minus the lid) and then into the smoker; a single batch will fill a 10 inch regular dutch oven (4 quart) almost to the top. A batch will fill a 10 inch deep dutch oven (5 quart) with room enough for stirring without worrying about loosing beans over the sides.

Last edited:
Thanks Dutch,

I thought I had copied and pasted this into my recipe file and when I went to print it out to make them with my ribs sunday they seemed to have deserted :x .

I shall endeavor to persevere this time.

Reactions: pauly
dutch!

LOVE your beans!!!!!!!!! We re heated them a day later and i could swear they were even better if that were possible!

Reactions: Mark B.
Kathy, I like them better too after they have sat in the fridge for a day or two. Sometimes I won't even bother to re-heat them. Just scoop some into a bowl and grab a couple of left over ribs and hang out my sign that reads "Don't bother me, I'm eating!" :D

Reactions: bigdaddy1872
Been using this recipe quite often, and even my 3 year old loves em! Hard to make any other sidedish for dem ribs!

DT
7098fef1_vbattach10842.jpg

Awesome recipe Dutch!

Made my first batch on the stove, and they were very tasty!! This weekend I am making a batch in the smoker with rib drippings!!! I cant wait.

Kinda "windy" at your house, Bill? :P

Glad you like 'em!

Windy like the city huh.

Looks like a great recipe Dutch!

One question though, which flavor of Bush's baked beans do you use?

Dutch,
I don't even like baked beans, someone brings them to every event/cookout in our neighborhood and I never eat them. I thought your recipe looked good so I decided to give it a whirl. Those beans are fantastic, I can't tell you how much I like them. They are still in the smoker and I can't keep my face out of them. WOW!

Jamie

i made this recipe tonight for a side dish at supper. i left out the jalapenos and the mustard. i subbed sausage (JD regular) for the bacon, bottled minced onion for the diced onion, and bbq sauce for the ketchup. they were the bomb. even my buddy that doesn't care for baked beans ate 2 helpings of them.
i used the sausage because i had some left from breakfast this morning. i had already crumbled it up anyway, so i sauted the bell pepper and minced onion in EVOO, then added the sausage. mixed it in the bowl with everything else.

This recipe will feed 6-8 with good sized portions. Whenever I fix it for the family I always double the recipe.

Glad you liked them. The day will come (if it hasn't already) that when you talk about doing some Que the family will ask "Doing the Wicked Beans too?"

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky