Dutch Oven Table

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Im inspired and have been after hubby today to get it done..finally found all materials and will be putting together soon.  Mine is a bit more eclectic..shall we say a bit of a feminine flair..Thats a real fair price too..

Nothing wrong with eclectic LOL. I did find a D.O. society here in Houston and it seems to be a large group. So how much often and what do you cook in your D.O.??

Well Im a cast iron nut so all my cooking is done in cast iron, but only last summer did I start using my d.o. to camp cook and theres just not much you cant cook in one.. If you can cook it in a pot or oven you can cook it in a d.o.  I like mostly meat and mexican dishes, stews etc... but am learning thru trial and error how to bake bisquits and cakes..Will be going on a two week camping trip in Aug to compete against a dear friend who bought one of those cute little made in China gas ovens that look like they are a toy.. Have no doubt Im gonna kick butt.. lol.

Wolfmann- Nice looking table. Being an avid dutch oven user meownself and having build a table or two, that expanded metal on the table top really isn't needed.

When I get a chance, I'll get out my table and set it up and take a picture or two and post it up.

I just added it to keep some space between the table top and the charcoal.You can use it or not. In my smokers i always add that type of grate to keep the fire off the surface. I am looking forward to seeing your pictures. Like I said earlier I have never seen one and all I found was info on the ones for sale on line.

Last edited:
I live in Northern NM..Lol..dont go spending those winnings anytime soon..My hubby insisted that all my materials be found.  So my table top is half inch thick aluminum plate, the base is an old cast iron singer treadle machine base, the angle iron around the table was just found the other day and its angle iron from an old fold away bed from the 40's..hubby found that for me..and the windsbreak is some old flat metal around here.. Now if I can just get it built!  Im gonna paint it all except the table top of course..

The only thing about the grate is that I can see where in some cases it would be useful, it will make using a dutch oven very hard as you need to move the coals around up and under the oven and the coals must be easy to get too.. I think its a nice addition and would be helpful if you wanted to put coals under it for a large griddle and skillet breakfast..

The best paint for it you can get at Lowe's. It is a high temp paint (Rust-Oleum Quart High Heat Bar-B-Que Black) Do not get the spray on it will not get the shine the roll on will get you.It will take two or three coats and you will know how many by the shine. Put on 2 coats and let it dry. If it is not shiny put on another coat.

Thanks for the info on the paint as I was going to ask you what you used.  I was going to get stove paint, but read that it has to be heated before it cures and takes a lot of curing time, and so I wasnt sure what to use. 

Well it is official I am selling this table. He lost his job and is moving so no money for extras. Anybody interested let me know.

Ironskillet did you get your table build????

That is a beautiful table.  I sent this thread to a newbie who is interested in dutch oven cooking but has no real good area to do it.

I think you could sell that, but I wonder how big, in sheer numbers, the market would be. 

Good luck and good smoking.

Thanks Venture for the help. I am looking at the table now and try to figure out what i need to do to make it an open grill that i will use. If I get an offer on it great if not I figure something out I can make out of it.

Last edited:
e
d38b6d14_100_6933.jpg

Hi all, well I finally finished my do table and am trying to post some pics.  I still need to weld some horseshoe handles to the sides of the frame and I may be making some oval shaped half inch round legs and weld them to the angle iron cross bars on the frame so that I will have some legs to sit it on the ground next to the campfire for those nights I just want to sit next to the fire and cook.  Sucker is really heavy tho!  I also still need to add the hinges to the windscreen so that it folds up and then when taken off the frame the whole windscreen can lay on the table top for transport and the whole table top just lifts off the singer base.  I had to learn a lot of new skills to make this and Im so glad its almost done. I may have to repaint the windscreen as I followed lowes employees advice and was sold  the wrong primer for the windscreen.. Im hoping not to have to do that anytime soon. Cant wait to get cookin..
af68caf1_100_6954.jpg
9ff41d73_100_6951.jpg
09c87897_100_6742.jpg
cf7658ad_100_6906.jpg

Thanks Al,  It was a bigger chore than I wanted it to be, but I really like it too.. The fire in NM is raging so we are not allowed to have any outside charcoal fires right now, but as soon as they lift the ban due to air quality, Im going to cook a whole meal.  Im wanting to make a matching large butcher block cutting board type table and put it on a singer base.. Im sure Ill probably have to buy the base this time.  Well anyways I was pricing the singer bases on ebay last nite altho I cant afford to make anything right now... anyhooo I found this wonderful base, not a singer, that I think is the ultimate base for my chopping block table, but since I cant afford it right now, Im posting a link to the ebay auction so if anyone here would like to try this, but if you do you gotta post pics..Its cheap enough, but the shipping is 59 to my house.. heres the link  http://cgi.ebay.com/ANTIQUE-CAST-IR...&otn=5&po=LVI&ps=63&clkid=1157019964676217554

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky