Dutch Oven Recommendations

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I received my Lodge Dutch oven today (total shame it was made in China. 😡)

Anyhow, I noticed in the manual it says not to use on outdoor grills or over camp fires.
7FA78A85-92A9-41DA-830F-443371C86C69.jpeg

Does this apply to smokers as well?

I understand and share your feeling on "made in China" but this is fairly low technology.

Not saying they couldn't mess it up. Hopefully Lodge has a sharp eye on quality control.

What are you going to cook first in it?

Reactions: MileHighSmokerGirl

Anyhow, I noticed in the manual it says not to use on outdoor grills or over camp fires.
View attachment 523696
Just FYI. All lodge cookware is made in south Pittsburgh Tennessee. The enameled is made in Tennessee but enameled in china

Just FYI. All lodge cookware is made in south Pittsburgh Tennessee. The enameled is made in Tennessee but enameled in china
interesting that it is worth it to ship to China and back for the enamel to be put on. I wonder if it is more of an environmental issue than cost, not sure how bad the process could be with pollutants?

interesting that it is worth it to ship to China and back for the enamel to be put on. I wonder if it is more of an environmental issue than cost, not sure how bad the process could be with pollutants?
Yeah kinda blew my mind as well. I've been to the factory in Pittsburg TN as well as the lodge store there and Sevierville. They say our product is and will always be made in USA but then they send to China for enamel? Who knows lol

• Wow

View attachment 523696
I would think it would be ok in a smoker. We don't have lodge enameled Dutch ovens but we do have a couple other brands. We use ours on our gas stove top, but a fire and gas grill I would think would put out much higher direct heat.

Ryan

Sounds like corporate lip service to me. I call BS on that.

And you would be right.The following come from many sources.The 4th paragraph comes straight from Lodge itself.Simply put their enameled dutch oven is 100% made in China.All that being said its a good product.

1.Lodge’s Dutch oven is made in China, albeit under contract to an American company, which means it still has good quality control. Nevertheless, the Lodge’s “Made in China” tag may be a deterrent for some buyers.

2.Lodge is an American company with a strong reputation in that part of the world. These Lodge enamel Dutch ovens are made in China. Even though it is made in China, Lodge are not compromising their brand reputation. It is made to a very high standard so there is no reason to really be worried about that, it doesn’t seem to be a problem here.

3.Lodges enameled cast iron products are made in China. Lodge uses a third-party inspection company to ensure their strict quality standards are followed.

• Comes with 6 pot protectors that protect your enamel dutch oven from chipping and prohibit moisture build up when storing
  • Stainless steel knob and loop handles for great control
  • Smooth glass surface won't react to ingredients
  • Unparalleled heat retention and even heating
  • Use to marinate, refrigerate, cook, and serve
  • Great for induction cooktops
  • Made in China

I understand and share your feeling on "made in China" but this is fairly low technology.

Not saying they couldn't mess it up. Hopefully Lodge has a sharp eye on quality control.

What are you going to cook first in it?

over the top chili in the dutch oven on the smoker, Sunday after I get home from church. I can’t wait!

Well that didn’t take long. I only used a green and yellow scrub pad to take the smoke residue off. The handle already chipped. 😞

what a disappointment. Lodge should stop sending their crap to China to be enameled. Those people don’t take pride in anything they make or build. 😡

EC65A902-1A95-46C5-8A8D-F22AC6CF0A70.jpeg

Before your next smoke, rub the outside of your Dutch with dawn dishwasher soap and let dry. It will come clean very easily.

Ryan

If you haven't done so yet, warm up the DO on the stove and hit that chipped area with a little bit of oil. Turn off the heat and let the DO set on the burner until it's cooled down.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky