Duck prosciutto (smoked)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

atomicsmoke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 3, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Smoked duck was actually the original pastrama. And smoked sheep meat. These were the "fancy" meats on the jewish tables in Moldova/Kingdom.of Rromania before the Jewish Enlightenment. The emigrant jews brought the recipes to North America, where they found affordable beef...and pastrami was born.

I haven't smoked meats in ...months. Can't beleive it.

Trying to make the most of the last stretch of cold weather. I had 4 ducks in the freezer...so duck prosiuctto, duck legs confit and duck soup.

Classic dry cure with air drying would take more than a.month...i din't know if the weather willbe cold enough in April. So i went with the salt box method.
20190314_200535-1.jpg
20190314_201631_HDR-1.jpg

After 48h i washed, soak them for a bit and hung to dry overnight.

They are in the smoker now.

The legs and wings are sitting with spices. I will get them going in rendered duck fat later today.

I threw the carcass trim and the tenders in the confit pot. They made a nice supper with the pureed daikon radish from a soup that just finished (with smoked pork bones).

20190317_185840-1.jpg

I had no idea what you were talking about when I first read this post. I had to keep another tab open just to Google search most of it. It sounds and looks great. How long before the rilette is done?

Point for the education
Chris

It can be eaten now. Just bring to room temp (fat will melt) and drain most of the fat. Add spices , some brandy and stir until it's broken down in fibers - so it's spreadable.

But it gets better if it stays in fat for a month or longer.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky