Duck breast charcuterie....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dernektambura

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Kitchener, Ontario...
I am planning on doing dry cure duck breast charcuterie.... I have pretty good knowledge about making capicola but never cured duck breasts. It's jus dry cured and air dried over time until it looses about 30% weight... should be pretty straightforward... any pointers about spices.... should I go just plain SPG or something more....

You have two options:
1. salt box method. Foolproof, quick but expect dry rim. Tasty nevertheless. Soak after curing to remove some of the salt.

2. Tie breasts in pairs after curing- use the skin as casing. Make sure its tight otherwise will spoil. It did for me once. When it worked it was the best duck prosciutto i tasted. Use nitrite if you go with the double method.

My thread...includes the failure
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/duck-score.257595/

Reactions: dernektambura
About the spices...i dont find a lot of spice/herbs flavours left in whole muscle dry meats. Maybe my tasting buds are numb from so much smoke (not cigarette smoke).

The only time herb flavours carried into the final product was for a rolled lamb prosciutto. I cured it with herbs in pieces than rolled it - probably why.

Reactions: dernektambura
You have two options:
1. salt box method. Foolproof, quick but expect dry rim. Tasty nevertheless. Soak after curing to remove some of the salt.

2. Tie breasts in pairs after curing- use the skin as casing. Make sure its tight otherwise will spoil. It did for me once. When it worked it was the best duck prosciutto i tasted. Use nitrite if you go with the double method.

My thread...includes the failure
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/duck-score.257595/
Now your advice is truly learning experience....to use duck skin as casing is somethings I wouldn't think about....Prague cure #2 is best way to go cuz probably I wont be able to avoid small air pockets between two pieces... Thank you for pointers,... it is great to meet and learn from knowledgeable people like yourself, indaswamp and others. .

Last edited:
About the spices...i dont find a lot of spice/herbs flavours left in whole muscle dry meats. Maybe my tasting buds are numb from so much smoke (not cigarette smoke).

The only time herb flavours carried into the final product was for a rolled lamb prosciutto. I cured it with herbs in pieces than rolled it - probably why.
Yes. I did boneless leg of lamb couple of years ago... didn't rub any spices on but rather, boiled spices in brine, cooled brine and wet cured for two weeks and dry cured untill lost 30% of weight... it was delicious... man, you gonna bankrupt me with ideas... now I'm gonna do lamb leg again... lol...

I have two fat Pekins waiting for me to get around to Confit Legs and Prosciutto Breasts...JJ

I am planning on doing dry cure duck breast charcuterie.... I have pretty good knowledge about making capicola but never cured duck breasts. It's jus dry cured and air dried over time until it looses about 30% weight... should be pretty straightforward... any pointers about spices.... should I go just plain SPG or something more....
How is the duck prosicutto project?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky