drying out clumpy spices

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
This happened to me just a couple of weekends ago with a jar of Hidden Valley Ranch powder. I stuck a butter knife into the jar to kind of bust it up, pit it in a ziploc, and smashed it up pretty good. If it happens again I'll do the same but in a vacuum bag. I ended up with some small perforations (messy but not too bad) with the ziploc. Vac bags are tougher. It happens to Kinders too, I've noticed, but I just whop that jar on the counter a few times. it doesn't get bad because I use the Kinders fairly often and I don't care it it's a little clumpy.

I rarely use that ranch powder for anything - except this one pasta salad I make every couple of months, but the container of mix I have is a sam's club sized jar soooooooo........

EDIT: I tried using a glass for the smusher, but ended up with the rolling pin.

Last edited:
This happened to me just a couple of weekends ago with a jar of Hidden Valley Ranch powder. I stuck a butter knife into the jar to kind of bust it up, pit it in a ziploc, and smashed it up pretty good. If it happens again I'll do the same but in a vacuum bag. I ended up with some small perforations (messy but not too bad) with the ziploc. Vac bags are tougher. It happens to Kinders too, I've noticed, but I just whop that jar on the counter a few times. it doesn't get bad because I use the Kinders fairly often and I don't care it it's a little clumpy.

I rarely use that ranch powder for anything - except this one pasta salad I make every couple of months, but the container of mix I have is a sam's club sized jar soooooooo........

EDIT: I tried using a glass for the smusher, but ended up with the rolling pin.
A cheap coffee grinder is awesome for this

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky