Dry Wild Turkey Breast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigaman

Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Omaha, NE
Hey Everyone, 

Not sure what went wrong....I smoked a wild turkey breast.  The night before, I injected and rubbed the meat.  I ran the MB40XL at about 240 degrees.  About 4 hr in the meat temp read 140 degrees but it looked DONE!  I took it out and it was bone dry. I was going to pull at 165 but never got that high.

Any thoughts?

Turkey beast for 4 hours at 240 degrees?
And the internal temp was only 140?
Something sounds off? Possibly your therm?

I did turkey breast on friday, they took 2.25 hours at 225 degrees to hit 165 internal

Yep, verify the Therm in the meat is accurate. Wild Turkey is just not that big. I've had big domestic breasts go 3 hours or less...JJ

Remember also that wild turkey breasts are not like store boughts. They are usually very lean and dense. I always either injected them or wrapped 'em in bacon or something to add some juice. Pheasants are even worse. I wasn't too familiar with brining at the time, but it could also put some moisture in the meat.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.  I was thinking it was something to do with the thermometer.  Even failures taste good sometimes 
icon_biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky