Dry vs Wet brine

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I bet an experiment with Pops Brine on some fish would be good.. something I have never personally done though.

I have NO experience with fish, but I'd think it would fall apart in a wet brine. Would love to be educated otherwise.

What is your favourite colour? It is really a matter of taste and what kind of fish you are looking to make. If you are making Lox, dry is the norm but I have had great cold smoke wet brined salmon. If you are hot smoking salmon, I find wet brine gives a nice distribution of the flavours while dry brining gives a texture I prefer. But it is really subjective and I suggest you try both to find the one you like.

Can anyone tell me the advantage or reason to use one method vs. the other when it comes to brining trout/ salmon? I normally use the dry method but Im open to new better ideas.
Thank.

I don't cook tons of different fish and different styles but in general the only reason to brine would be if you want a simple marinade of flavor and in that case like 2hours aught to do the trick.

The other case is if you are curing (using Cure #1) for salmon lox or salmon jerky/nuggets then brining/curing would be needed.

I have only ever done dry brining and curing for the salmon lox and jerky cases.
I've marinated for like max 2 hours then grilled.

All other cases I simply season and immediately cook.

Out of curiosity, what is the reason you are looking to brine some fish? :)

I used Pop's Brine on these. i did throw in some Dale's for extra flavor.
going out on the lake end of the month to try for some more.

b-1.jpg
b-1.jpg
a.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ksblazer and tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky