Dry Milk... Do I need it?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

meatstick

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
I have made goose summer sausage a few times and has turned out pretty good. I was reading through a few forms here and saw someone mention that they add powered milk. I buy the pre pack season kits from ps seasoning...just b/c it's easier and my time is usually limited. Anyway, why add the powered milk and is it necessary? I looked at their website and they carry non-fat dry milk which I was wondering if this is the same thing? Will the pre packed kits already have this in it or do I need to add the dry milk. Thanks all.

Last edited:
Nonfat powdered milk is added to help retain moisture in the sausage. If it is an ingredient in the mixes you are buying it should be listed on the packaging. If you decide to add it the ratio is 1cup to 5lbs of meat. Be sure to give it a whir in the blender before you add it. You want it to be a powder like corn starch rather than the more granular consistently that it comes in when you buy it. Purchase at your local grocery store

no you really dont unless you want the creamier taste, it also helps hide over salting.

It's not required to use it. There are other things that can also be used as a binder to help retain moisture. Soy protein concentrate, starches are a few.  The pre made kits may already contain those substances. When using the premade kits it is best to stick to their directions. You can add additional seasonings if you like but I wouldn't add a binder.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky