Dry Curing Bacon ~ How Long Is Too Long?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 1, 2019
The Cowboy State - Wyoming
All, I've been visiting via email with a guy new to curing bacon. He is using the dry cure method and Cure #1 on a skin-off belly (I believe from SRF). The amounts of all ingredients are correct and double-checked. His refrigerator is 34°, and he has been overhauling. Due to unforeseen circumstances he is 17 days into this curing cycle. My curing times are 11 or 12 days. I'm sure I've gone 14 days a few times, but never any longer.

What is the consensus of the group? How long is too long?

EQ cure? Overhauling? That dont sound like a EQ cure.

I've gone a few days over 14 but if 34 is an accurate reading for his temp my opinion is that it's to cold . 38 to 40 for curing is what should be used in my opinion .
I'm good with a low of 36°/ 37°, but would 34° work in his favor because the curing process slows with colder temps?

EQ cure? Overhauling? That dont sound like a EQ cure.

Yes "Equilibrium" curing method. And to me, overhauling means turning the zipper bag over each day or two.

Rich is right, 38º is ideal. What the heck, he's a few degrees under, and a few days over. I'd put it on the smoker, probably going to be just fine. RAY

I'm leaning in that direction too, but anytime someone is second guessing themselves on a food safety issue.... the final decision is their call. And I'm with 'em. Likewise, when I break a rule, like grilling my burgers to somewhere's south of 160°, I admit that "I'm breaking the rules".

YEP, rotate the meat in the EQ brine...

Soaking the ham

• 2 The ham is then immersed in the remaining brine for a period of 10-16 days depending on weight. The ham and the brine are inspected daily. The brine is overhauled, or turned over, every three days. Overhauling prevents the brine from becoming weak on top and heavy on the bottom. A large wooden paddle is used to remix the brine.

I would have no issue then. I have done 3 weeks no problem.

Regardless of time on cure, there is very little Safety Issue as the meat is Refrigerated well below 40°. Beyond 3-4 weeks, there is a risk of Spoilage Bacteria, that are unaffected by Salt, beginning to grow. This would be a Quality issue rather than a Safety issue. The meat would Sour...JJ

Reactions: sawhorseray
cure #1, wet or dry, is good for 30 days or less. Hot smoking or cold smoking? (80° or 145°)?

It appears he will be hot smoking this batch. Which in my eye is another layer of safety since the smoking time might only be 4 to 6 hours.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky