Dry brined spatchcock turkey and potatoes on the Camp Chef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

forktender

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 10, 2008
NORCAL
I dry brined the turkey with plain'ol kosher salt. I left it uncovered in the refer for two days patting it dry.
20201201_142703.jpg

Next I brushed on grapeseed oil and hit it with some Komos Dirty bird while the C.C. was coming up to temp.
20201201_143635.jpg

Next I cut up some potato wedges and seasoned the with garlic powder, onion powder and paprika. Then off to the cooker they went in at 465* using hickory charcoal and a mixture of cherry and apple Lumber Jack pellets.

This was after an hour at high heat.
20201201_153643.jpg

After spinning the bird I lowered the smoke temp down to 320* until the breast hit an internal temp of 150*. Pulled it out let it rest uncovered until the temp climbed up to 163*.
20201201_173330.jpg

Then I broke it down and got my carve on.
20201201_175455.jpg

Talk about a juicy bird.
Here is a picture of it carved ready to eat.
20201201_180433.jpg

This was the best turkey I ever made I'm liking this dry brine deal a lot.

Sorry no plate picks, it was time to eat and I don't have time for fancy plate pic's of food on plates when everyone is hungry.

This 11lb bird only took 1 hr 50 minutes. I was really impressed with how juicy it turned out.

Thanks for looking.
Dan

I'm not sure why this thumbnail is at the bottom of the post but notice how dry the skin was after two days in the refer after salting it.

Attachments

• 20201201_142703.jpg
    20201201_142703.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Thanks a bunch guys.
And yes this was for sure a hot and fast cook.

Looks good! Never dry brined one either. How did the taters turn out? Don't think I have ever seen them done that way.

Ryan

Reactions: forktender
That bird looks fantastic & you didn’t overcook it.
It looks so juicy & tender I’m wondering why there isn’t any juice coming out of my iPad!!!
Al

• Haha
Yes, it's amazing what a good dry brine will do. Your bird looks great!

How big was it? I did a 16 lbs at 350 degrees, took exactly 2 hours. Yet your did yours at 465 for one hour and then 320 for another 50 minutes? I'd like the hotter first for skin reasons, but I haven't experimented going that high yet on a bird. Always felt like I'd ruin it. Thanks for sharing!

Looks good! Never dry brined one either. How did the taters turn out? Don't think I have ever seen them done that way.

Ryan
They turn out great at 275* and above. I just toss them a big bowl and coat them with a little oil and shake on the seasonings. I've done them thousands of times, whole bakers turn out great as well.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Yes, it's amazing what a good dry brine will do. Your bird looks great!

How big was it? I did a 16 lbs at 350 degrees, took exactly 2 hours. Yet your did yours at 465 for one hour and then 320 for another 50 minutes? I'd like the hotter first for skin reasons, but I haven't experimented going that high yet on a bird. Always felt like I'd ruin it. Thanks for sharing!
11lbs I really like the high heat to crisp up the skin than back it down until it's done.
People that pull their birds at 165* are missing out. I always pull them at 150-155* then rest them uncovered for 20-30 minutes. The 165* rule is a joke as long as the bird sits at 150* for 5 minutes there is no more of a chance of getting sick than a bird that is cooked to 165*.

Reactions: civilsmoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky