Dry brine question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bytor

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 16, 2020
Is it better to dry brine with just salt (Kosher) or also with crushed pepper? I typically use both, but was wondering the difference. I'm thinking that as the salt pulls back the moisture into the meat, it would also be taking some of the pepper flavor too.

I got some nice and thick ribeye to reverse sear and was curious what the thoughts about this are.

Thanks

I just use kosher salt sprinkled on the meat the night before. My experience is that anything else (pepper, herbs, etc) stays on the surface.

I typically just use kosher salt the day before then hit it with pepper right before cooking it. Also I put the steaks on an elevated rack to help dry out the outer edge of the meat so you can get a really nice crust when you sear it.

Thanks for the input. Though I have no photos, the ribeye's came out great.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky