Dry brine Q

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

BB-que

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Nov 8, 2016
Putting a beef rub that contains salt on a brisket a day or so before smoking would provide same effect as doing a salt only dry brine no? All my rubs have salt so I can’t really dry brine and then rub before the smoke. I’d guess just putting the rub on 12/24 hours before would provide the same effect, wanted to get peoples thoughts who have dry brined brisket.

Reactions: TNJAKE

TNJAKE

Legendary Pitmaster
SMF Premier Member
Nov 26, 2019
Ridgetop Tennessee
Putting a beef rub that contains salt on a brisket a day or so before smoking would provide same effect as doing a salt only dry brine no? All my rubs have salt so I can’t really dry brine and then rub before the smoke. I’d guess just putting the rub on 12/24 hours before would provide the same effect, wanted to get peoples thoughts who have dry brined brisket.
Yeah salt is salt whether it's applied in a rub or alone. You'll have the same effect

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker

BB-que

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Nov 8, 2016
Yeah salt is salt whether it's applied in a rub or alone. You'll have the same effect
Thanks Jake - bit of a silly question but figured what the hell

Reactions: TNJAKE

BB-que

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Nov 8, 2016
Not a silly question. You can't know what you don't know. Make sure to post up the cook
For sure - first cook on an LSG cabinet I got a while ago and haven’t had the time to break her in. Look for pics Sunday

Reactions: DougE and TNJAKE

SmokinEdge

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Western Colorado
Salt is salt, but, concentration of salt as in percentage will make a difference in a big way.

Danblacksher

Meat Mopper
Jul 15, 2022
had great success dry brining with salt only fat side down then putting the rub on fat side up right before smoking with pork shoulders and brisket.

BB-que

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Nov 8, 2016
Salt is salt, but, concentration of salt as in percentage will make a difference in a big way.
Right
yeah that’s kind of my issues with just putting a rub on a day early. It’s MC holy cow and I know it’s salt pepper heavy but not sure gonna have same effect.

BB-que

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Nov 8, 2016
I've been eyeing those cabinets myself and interested in your thoughts!

Keith
I’ll let you know - the thing is insulated to the max I can tell you that by the efficiency with the seasoning few weeks back - wow

Latest posts

Hot Threads