Dry brine brisket advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BB-que

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 8, 2016
I know this isn’t a new topic but like most thinks there seem to be some pretty strong opinions on when the ideal time is to salt/brine a brisket. Some have said don’t do it until a few hours before while others say the longer the better. I was gonna do one overnight but a lot of people seem to say that’s a big no no. Thoughts?

i'm no pro with brisket but i don't see why ya couldn't do over night. i think it would work out better but i'm sure some people with more knowledge about this will be around.

I do mine overnight sometimes , sometimes I do right before . I like overnight .
Salt will draw moisture out of the meat , so in my opinion you either salt and go right to the smoker , or salt and hold for a few hours or overnight to give the moisture a chance to reabsorb back into the meat .

I rub my beef the day before with kosher salt and lots of cracked black. Refrigerate over night uncovered and smoke the next day as usual. Low and slow about 12 hours till the fat is jiggly when you pick it up. But the beef has to tell you when its ready, I have never done as well using the thermometer as I do without. Beef really doesn't need anything else IMHO. Just a little smoke and a lot of very low heat...... Maybe a side of beans and/or potato salad.
Although I have marinated over-night with "Claudes" and like it, especially if the brisket is for sammies. But its strickly a flavor modifier. The only way to get a good brisket is to cook it right. I have found no short cuts.\

Reactions: daveomak
No expert here, but I've had my best luck with brisket using a 50-50 mix of salt and cracked black pepper right before it goes into the smoker. The last several times I've done an overnight dry brine, the result was a dry brisket, although I admit that the dryness may have been due to other factors.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

The only way I've ever done it is salt and pepper out of the fridge and let it get to room temp before tossing in the smoker.
Seems to work fine.
Frankly, I've backed off on the salt lately and haven't missed it.....

I know this isn’t a new topic but like most thinks there seem to be some pretty strong opinions on when the ideal time is to salt/brine a brisket. Some have said don’t do it until a few hours before while others say the longer the better. I was gonna do one overnight but a lot of people seem to say that’s a big no no. Thoughts?

I don't think there is any problem with it at all.

I've done the night before, a day before, and so on. The reason?? Convenience and time management in my situations.

My preference is to just trim, season, throw in the smoker. But if I am going to be pressed for time due to a packed schedule then I will do all the prep, trim, seasoning, the day before when I have that time and then toss it in the smoker when it comes time to start the smoke the next day.

I've never done multiple days which I think would draw moisture out but 1 day or 1 night before won't hurt it at all in my experience. FYI, I do a lot of briskets being here in TX which is brisket land were we get amazing brisket prices monthly. I probably do at least 1 brisket a month but often do 2 at a time every other month.

I hope this helps :)

I've never dry brined a brisky but do steaks regularly. My rule of thumb is 1 hour minimum per inch of meat. Measure it and do the math. I think this upgrades steaks at least one grade.

I figure, within reason, the longer the better because you need to allow time for the meat to re-absorb the liquids.

Rinse the brisket off and use a low/no salt rub.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky