Dry brine and Spatchcocked

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mikedfw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2016
Dallas, TX
Usually wet brine and smoke turkey and am happy with results (moist and flavorful meat). Have to combat the challenge of breasts being ready before dark meat by finishing the latter in the oven.

Want to try dry brining and spatchcock-ing (for convenience) provided I don't have to compromise on the end product. This method seems like a no brainer in the oven, but for smoking, my concern is the bird gets too dry and doesn't have the same flavor profile. Any experience to share is greatly appreciated, because, of course, THIS has to be the Best Thanksgiving Ever!

I dry brine and spatchcock 99% of the poultry I smoke. Never had a dry bird. I run a high pit temp 325°-350°.

For my dry brine I mix 2 tablespoons baking powder with 6 tablespoons (1/2 cup) kosher salt. Then generously sprinkle on all surfaces of the bird. Depending on the size of the bird you may not use all of the salt mixture. Add any other dry seasonings you want at this time. Place bird on a drying rack over a pan and place in the fridge uncovered for 12-24 hours. Preheat smoker to 325° (if you can't get that high go as high as you can.) Smoke until the breast reads 160°-165°. Rest on counter loosely covered with foil for 15-30 minutes, carve and serve.

Reactions: noboundaries
Agree with everything dirtsailor said. I'll use the same ratios on dry brine for my turkey next week, just haven't decided if I'm smoking or roasting it in the oven yet.

Thank you both. Questions...
1) Time estimates 13-13.5 lb birds at 325?
2) Do you get enough smoke this way? (I've never smoked at high temps.)
3) Assuming legs on the fire side in an offset, and prob need to protect the bones (?). But it seems we still have the challenge of the breasts coming to temperature first. No? Do you do anything like ice the breasts beforehand.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky