Dry Aging Cabinet settings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokeaddict

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
Sydney Australia
A question for the experienced dry agers. After years of charcuterie making, imagining that I have enough knowledge to get into dry aging whole muscle, in a just set up mini fridge. I assume there is a difference between the empty, and the loaded unit outcomes of settings, that is, for example, once the meat begins to dry, there is an increase in the humidity. Did you find that the settings need adjustments as the time progresses ?

Thanks,

Gus

Ideally, you want the RH% in the chamber to be below the Aw of the meat by 0.2~0.5%

so if the Aw of the product is at 0.92, you want the RH% at 90-87RH%...that is the theoretical perfect humidity. But in practice, humidity that high will cause mold problems; either bad mold will grow, or the good mold will grow too much and be too active. Best not to let the RH% in the chamber get too much above 85% except at the start of drying, and not for very long (to encourage good mold growth after inoculation with mold 600)...3-5 days or so, then drop it below 85%. I try to keep the chamber between 80-85%RH....especially for whole muscles. This is because home chambers are not perfect and if using a frost free unit, most will have stronger than optimum air flow unless fan speed is adjusted down using a rheostat control...so the higher humidity compensates for the higher airflow during the cooling cycle. Also, the frost free units pull the RH% down to around 55-60% during the cooling cycle, so you get a lot of moisture pulled off the surface of the product during the cooling cycle. The higher RH% allows the outer surface of the product to rehydrate before the next cooling cycle to prevent dry rim/case hardening. Hope this answers your question.

Ideally...you would want to keep the RH% 0.2-0.5 below the Aw of the product as it dries....until it is done....but I find that impractical in a home set up. But this is what commercial producers do with sophisticated equipment constantly checking the Aw of the product.

I just realized you may be referring to 'dry aging' as in dry aged steaks. If this is the case, disregard my above post as it refers to dry curing whole cuts....

I just realized you may be referring to 'dry aging' as in dry aged steaks. If this is the case, disregard my above post as it refers to dry curing whole cuts....

Thanks very much for your advice Indaswamp ! I am going to age whole muscle. You mentioned inoculation with mould. Had not planned to do that. Please elaborate,

Gus

I cannot find where Mold-600 is recommended for use on whole muscle meats..

About Mold 600....
Mold present on traditional sausages prevents myotoxin formation by wild molds. It allows for uniform drying and contributes positively towards flavor. It forms a nice, white mold on the surface of your product. The strain of mold secrete enzymes that also contribute towards the development of flavor in your final product over the drying time.
Storage:
Always store your cultures below 1?F for a shelf life of 18 months. If stored above 41?F the shelf life is 6 weeks.
Sold by the pack.
Use is 25g pack per 10L of distilled water.
Dip product in solution prior to fermentation, or spray on while hanging in the fermentation chamber. What works best is if you soak the rinsed casings in the mold solution before stuffing, then apply after in the fermentation chamber.

MOLD-600 www.chr-hansen.com Page: 1 (4) Version: 1 PI-EU-EN 03-07-2009

Range The Bactoferm® range of meat cultures contains starter cultures for traditionally and fast fermented meat products. The range also spans cultures for flavor and color enhancement and includes mold cultures for surface applications.DescriptionMOLD-600is a meat culture which produces a white/light grayish appearance on the surface of molded dried sausages, and a well pronounced mushroom flavor and aroma.With high humidity and optimum temperature, MOLD-600 is fast growing, and produces a dense, short white surface coverage with an even appearance (typically found in France).MOLD-600 promotes a traditional white mold cover with a moderate to good ability to control the surface flora and suppress the growth of undesirable organisms such as indigenous molds, yeasts and bacteria.The information contained herein is to the best of our knowledge true and correct and presented in good faith. It may be subject to change without further notice. To the best of our knowledge this product does not infringe Intellectual Property Rights of any third party. This information is offered solely for your consideration and verification. Copyright© Chr. Hansen A /S. A ll rights reserved.Taxonomy Penicillium nalgiovense Product Information MOLD-600 www.chr-hansen.com Page: 1 (4) Version: 1 PI-EU-EN 03-07-2009

I cannot find where Mold-600 is recommended for use on whole muscle meats..

About Mold 600....
Mold present on traditional sausages prevents myotoxin formation by wild molds. It allows for uniform drying and contributes positively towards flavor. It forms a nice, white mold on the surface of your product. The strain of mold secrete enzymes that also contribute towards the development of flavor in your final product over the drying time.
Storage:
Always store your cultures below 1?F for a shelf life of 18 months. If stored above 41?F the shelf life is 6 weeks.
Sold by the pack.
Use is 25g pack per 10L of distilled water.
Dip product in solution prior to fermentation, or spray on while hanging in the fermentation chamber. What works best is if you soak the rinsed casings in the mold solution before stuffing, then apply after in the fermentation chamber.

MOLD-600 www.chr-hansen.com Page: 1 (4) Version: 1 PI-EU-EN 03-07-2009

Range The Bactoferm® range of meat cultures contains starter cultures for traditionally and fast fermented meat products. The range also spans cultures for flavor and color enhancement and includes mold cultures for surface applications.DescriptionMOLD-600is a meat culture which produces a white/light grayish appearance on the surface of molded dried sausages, and a well pronounced mushroom flavor and aroma.With high humidity and optimum temperature, MOLD-600 is fast growing, and produces a dense, short white surface coverage with an even appearance (typically found in France).MOLD-600 promotes a traditional white mold cover with a moderate to good ability to control the surface flora and suppress the growth of undesirable organisms such as indigenous molds, yeasts and bacteria.The information contained herein is to the best of our knowledge true and correct and presented in good faith. It may be subject to change without further notice. To the best of our knowledge this product does not infringe Intellectual Property Rights of any third party. This information is offered solely for your consideration and verification. Copyright© Chr. Hansen A /S. A ll rights reserved.Taxonomy Penicillium nalgiovense Product Information MOLD-600 www.chr-hansen.com Page: 1 (4) Version: 1 PI-EU-EN 03-07-2009

Thank you Davomac. I have used M600 for salami fermentation.

Gus

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky