dry aged ribeye - results are in

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

squirrel

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
May 7, 2010
augusta ga
Howdy all,

Well, remember this hunka, hunka, burning love? I pulled him yesterday at 10 days dry aging in my spare fridge.

fb48905a_IMG_7653.jpg

daa85888_IMG_7654.jpg

All went well, I wrapped it up in shroud cloth and changed it every day and I was able to keep the temp at 36F. I pulled it at 10 days, no funky smell or anything, it smelled like when I roast meat bones to make stock with, very intense beefy, good smell. Naturally it looked a bit crusty, but that was to be expected. The beginning weight was 4.68, after 10 days dry aging it was 4.26. I forgot to weigh again after I trimmed it, but I took my time and only took off what was necessary. After I trimmed it was not quite as pink as above pic, more of a mahogany sorta color.

68c1f529_IMG_7763.jpg

I smoked it keeping the heat around 350F, wanted it pretty hot. I cooked it to an IT of 122F. While it rested it jumped up to 135F. Really wanted to keep it around 130F as I like my beef on the rare side. I was so nervous because I spent $80 for a piece of meat I was experimenting with. Well I have one word to describe it.....BUTTA.....This thing was so tender you could cut it with a fork. Not mushy or anything, nice texture, amazing beefy flavor and very, very tender. I will definitely be doing this again, but with a larger piece of meat!! Love a success story!!!!

6ad3abd8_IMG_7765.jpg

3514f43d_IMG_7767.jpg

Reactions: meateater
Dang Girl!

How long @ 350 did it take to 122* internal?

What wood did you use in your smoker?

What....No Wine with dinner?!?!?!

TJ

That looks better than any piece prime rib that I have ever seen ! I have had prime rib in N.Y. Vegas,KC,Chicago but if that tastes half as good as it looks, you are going to be one happy,happy Woman.  Great Job!

Given your hometown I guess this makes you a MASTER!!!

points.gif

Last edited:
Fantastic!!!!

That mahogany color is exactly what you are looking for in dry aged beef.

bet you could have cut it w/ a plastic fork.

icon_cool.gif

Now I have been waiting on this one since you first mentioned it. I'm really happy for you and I almost have a tear in my eye for that is one of the most beautiful things I have seen in a longtime. That goes for my cooking too. There is one thing that I'm a little disappointed in thou. You always are so schooled in photography that I was hoping for a more step by step/tutorial to go along with this hunk of pure goodness. But you sure you don''t want one of those smoke houses for I could just take a short drive and build you one say on the 11th day after you started one of theses things...
PDT_Armataz_01_18.gif
 wink wink
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

Looks good.  I really like good prime rib roast.

A few weeks ago we were on a cruise ship up the New England coast and to Nova Scottia.  One meal had prime rib on the menu.  We ordered it and asked for as rare as possible.  What came out (for both of us) was a piece of meat that had about 1 inch of well done, 1/2 inch of medium, and a 3-4 inch center that was cold and raw.  That is not the way to treat a prime rib!  Obviously, they cut it off of a slab intended for medium well and did not bother cooking it anymore at all.  After the meal was over, the head waiter came by and asked how things were going.  I gave her my opinion in no uncertain terms.

A few days later, they had prime rib on the menu again.  We did not order any -- but I did see a piece go by.  That piece was a nice pink/red all the way through.  I guess the head waiter's report had some effect.

BTW -- how much smoke flavor really got into the main part of the meat?  Or was it essentially the same as a long slow roast?

That 's one nice looking piece of meat Girl. I'm drooling here.

If  I ever can afford a good cut of meat I'm going to give this a try. What's a shroud cloth?

Dan

Thanks everybody for the nice comments! This was one of those projects that turned out well and makes me look forward to the next one. I have a $250 piece ordered with the bone in, y'all are all invited for dinner! LOL!

Dang Girl!

How long @ 350 did it take to 122* internal?

What wood did you use in your smoker?

What....No Wine with dinner?!?!?!

TJ
Hey Todd! I don't remember how long it took, but it wasn't very long and yes I had a BOTTLE of wine with dinner! Oh, and apple wood.

icon_cool.gif

Now I have been waiting on this one since you first mentioned it. I'm really happy for you and I almost have a tear in my eye for that is one of the most beautiful things I have seen in a longtime. That goes for my cooking too. There is one thing that I'm a little disappointed in thou. You always are so schooled in photography that I was hoping for a more step by step/tutorial to go along with this hunk of pure goodness. But you sure you don''t want one of those smoke houses for I could just take a short drive and build you one say on the 11th day after you started one of theses things...
PDT_Armataz_01_18.gif
 wink wink
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif
You're right Mark, I should have done a better job and the next one I do I will definitely do a step by step. Are you ever close to Augusta area? I have been talking to a couple of guys around here about helping me build a smokehouse, but they don't smoke, and don't really have a clue what I'm talking about.
mad.gif

Looks good.  I really like good prime rib roast.

A few weeks ago we were on a cruise ship up the New England coast and to Nova Scottia.  One meal had prime rib on the menu.  We ordered it and asked for as rare as possible.  What came out (for both of us) was a piece of meat that had about 1 inch of well done, 1/2 inch of medium, and a 3-4 inch center that was cold and raw.  That is not the way to treat a prime rib!  Obviously, they cut it off of a slab intended for medium well and did not bother cooking it anymore at all.  After the meal was over, the head waiter came by and asked how things were going.  I gave her my opinion in no uncertain terms.

A few days later, they had prime rib on the menu again.  We did not order any -- but I did see a piece go by.  That piece was a nice pink/red all the way through.  I guess the head waiter's report had some effect.

BTW -- how much smoke flavor really got into the main part of the meat?  Or was it essentially the same as a long slow roast?
There was definitely a light smoke flavor. I wasn't expecting much, but even if there was some on the outer part that's enugh to compliment the meal IMHO.

That 's one nice looking piece of meat Girl. I'm drooling here.

If  I ever can afford a good cut of meat I'm going to give this a try. What's a shroud cloth?

Dan
A shroud cloth is a very thin, large piece of cotton cloth that allows air to flow through, but is also absorbent.

DANG that loooooookkkkkkkssssssss   good!  And your a girl!
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif
  Just mess'n w/ya.  Absolutely fabulous! 
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
 How was the taste/texture of the outside edge?  Did you save &/or eat any of the trim'ns?  I have a boneless rib and strip age'n now, hard not to want to break it open and eat. 

Really great job!  Hope ya don't mind me mess'n w/ya. 

Great post and thanks for share'n it w/us.

Awesome Squirrel!

I would never have chanced it.

Good thing you don't have any Bears in your neighborhood!

Bears Love Prime Rib !

Bear

Hey Big AL! No, I didn't eat any of the trimmin's that part kinda creeped me out. LOL, that's where the girl thing comes in for sure! I also don't mind you "mess'n w/me" I'm used to it from several around here I won't name. Okay yes I will - Bear, meateater, Johnny, Beer-B-Q, Todd, oh, don't get me started. I'll tell ya this though mister, you better be ready for some Squirrel butt kick action...

6495afe9_squirrelflame.jpg

DANG that loooooookkkkkkkssssssss   good!  And your a girl!
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif
  Just mess'n w/ya.  Absolutely fabulous! 
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
 How was the taste/texture of the outside edge?  Did you save &/or eat any of the trim'ns?  I have a boneless rib and strip age'n now, hard not to want to break it open and eat. 

Really great job!  Hope ya don't mind me mess'n w/ya. 

Great post and thanks for share'n it w/us.

My assistant chainsaw carver loves Prime Rib too!

Especially beautiful Prime Rib made by cute little bushy tailed squirrels!

4577a00f_chainsawwoodchuck.jpg

I dont know much about throwdowns but you sure threwdown in my book....Nice job squirrel.......the crust and grissle are my favorite

Dangit, Squirrel! Out of all the discussions about dry aged beef I've over-looked lately due to having other things on the brain...

....of course, it would just have to be a ribeye to get my attention and make me want to look.

Very, very nice project to jump into, and you've executed it to perfection. The slice on your plate doesn't get any better...pink throughout...mmm, mmm, mmm.

I haven't commited to doing any dry aging just yet, why, I do not know...I've done many successful corned beef pastrami, candian bacon and chopped meat mix cures and smokes, some requiring up to 2 weeks in my little dedicated Q-fridge, so commiting fridge space is not a problem. What the heck is wrong with me!?!?!?!? LOL!!!!!!! I think I'm just under-educated on the subject, and haven't made the commitment to do something about it...this just may be the push I've been needing to fall off the fence and get moving...
icon_wink.gif

Anyway, my current outdoor cooking interests have shifted gears a bit into the dutch oven phase, so I've been spending much free time researching on that subject. I still may have some room in my heart for a plate of that goodness you have...man, so many smokes, and so little time!!!

Thanks for sharing what is obviously a very proud moment from your home...quite a risk indeed, but if we don't take a risk we'll never experience the outcome, will we?

Again, many thanks! I'll be waiting for round two...with absorbent materials close at hand (slurp!!!) and a smile on my face!!!

Eric

Looks Great Squirrell...

Now would I mess with you...
icon_mrgreen.gif

Here she is photographing her ribeye...
tongue.gif

99ce049a_2.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky