Dried Venison Backstraps ( Bears Recipe)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ishi

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 30, 2018
The loins have been curing for eight days so today it’s time to get things going. The loins aren’t super thick as they came from a doe.
6B94C92D-4FBF-4454-8F0D-8B1F07814A94.jpeg

They were rinsed off and dried off the best I could. They will sit in the fridge till Friday afternoon uncovered till they are smoked. They are definitely cured all the way through and the taste test went well with no salty taste.
They will be smoked on my pellet grill but the lowest it will go is 178-180 degrees. My question is should they be seasoned now or wait till they go on the cooker? The results will be coming this weekend after they are smoked:)
If I’m doing anything wrong please shoutout. I’ve read Bearcarver recipe about a few hundred times:D
More to come!

9D0EFD63-CA40-438C-A333-F18685EC16A1.jpeg

818F2933-98D4-4161-8917-0C84F134E9DF.jpeg

Reactions: 73saint
I put the CBP, Onion Powder, and Garlic Powder on after rinsing & doing the Salt fry test, and
Just before putting it in the fridge. That way when the pellicle forms it will hold some of the seasoning.

Bear

Reactions: motocrash and Ishi
First update :D:D
Now they are seasoned

F0021523-BAD2-4DBD-BCB1-FC09DA08DA91.jpeg

Just so you know:
That's seasoned pretty heavy---You might want to rinse& rub the loose stuff off after smoking, or you'll get it all over the place when you handle it & slice it.

Bear

Just so you know:
That's seasoned pretty heavy---You might want to rinse& rub the loose stuff off after smoking, or you'll get it all over the place when you handle it & slice it.

Bear
Thanks. I had to do that with the Pastrami! Way to much BP...major mouth burn. After I scraped it off it was 100% better

Sissys, rinsing off spices is a kin to heresy! ;)

My wife always yells "That's too much pepper!" I tell her they are thin slices and I like pepper. :D I love coarse ground BP all over this. I use the Ham roast and save the loins for Filleting flat and rolling like a jelly roll with stuff in them.

Reactions: Ishi
Thanks. I had to do that with the Pastrami! Way to much BP...major mouth burn. After I scraped it off it was 100% better

When you put the seasonings on before getting the Pellicle, like I said the surface getting sticky with Pellicle will hold the seasonings to the meat, pretty nicely.

The problem is when you put it on too thick, the only seasoning that will stick is the seasonings on the bottom, under all the other seasoning. Therefore the seasonings on the top will be relatively loose, and since they never touched the meat anyway, won't be absorbed into the meat. Then the extra seasonings will fall off when handling the meat & slicing it.

Also if the seasonings are too thick, they could keep the smoke from getting to the meat.
Just a couple things to think about.

Bear

After two days in the fridge uncovered and ready for the cook.
E92E7F04-F065-43BF-A5F6-A0055AD283C5.jpeg

Excess seasonings scraped off and on the smoker.

FB458053-A5FF-4EEC-8969-E5BC90516CDF.jpeg

After the cook. Notice the small chunk missing:D I had to try it.

15FE62E6-26A4-4A35-A6A4-5D67B32DBBCC.jpeg

The slice after sitting wrapped in the fridge for 1 1/2 days.
F77024AA-814F-4DF0-A650-33CE8F82E3EB.jpeg

First meal with the Dried Venison.
B35CA926-28F7-4C95-BB56-4FA5BA603D10.jpeg

I grew up with this as a kid. Chipped Beef gravy ( today Dried Venison) on toast or potatoes.... I went with potatoes. Really tasty stuff as I type this I have four more roasts in the fridge thawing out and getting ready to do the process again;)

That looks very good!
I have never had venison backstrap, but I hope someday to be able to give it a try, cause it sure looks fantastic!
Great job & congrats on making the carousel!!!!
Al

Wow, that looks great! You know I hated SOS growing up as a kid, mostly how it looked.

But seeing yours makes me want to try it again.

Wow, that looks great! You know I hated SOS growing up as a kid, mostly how it looked.

But seeing yours makes me want to try it again.

Yup---Real SOS looked terrible, because it was made with Ground Beef.
And it was Terrible!!!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky