• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Dried blood for black pudding

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 4, 2014
Any ideas where to get some in the US?  Our sausage fest is coming soon and we want to try black pudding and also a Korean sausage, both of which need the blood powder.

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
Don't know how to make it safe for human consumption... maybe the heating process does that... I know when "Mad Cow" disease (BSE) happened, you couldn't ship it unless it was in some specialized container.. Local feed store could not have it shipped to them because of proximity to animal feed... Don't know if things have changed.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_meal

amazon" style="max-width:120px">

idasmoker

Joined Sep 27, 2012
Several years ago I too was searching for dried pork blood and couldn't find any US vendors. I had to order some from England. To be honest, the dried blood, while convenient, does not taste as good as using fresh or frozen blood. You can find the fresh or frozen at most well stocked Asian food stores. It usually comes in a clear plastic tub of about 12 ounces.

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 4, 2014
Thanks gents!

Dave, I remember the mad cow thing and hadn't considered it for this.

IDaSmoker, good idea on the Asian markets!

Latest posts

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.