Dried Beef Step by Step (Great Stuff)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Bear you have me slobbering but my question would be the Yoder starts at 180 as the guys I work with always tells me I have the wrong smoker so I’m curious as how to proceed with the dried beef might use the bge to get to 140 starting temp

Hi Ed,
The time spent at 140° is actually to give it time to absorb a few hours of smoke without getting done too soon.
If you can get 140°, give it a few hours at that temp, before going up gradually until the IT hits about 155°--160°.

If 180° is your bottom temp, just start it at 180° and keep it there until the IT gets to about 160°. It will be a little quicker, but should still have some time to catch good smoke, especially if you get your pellicle by putting the pieces in front of a fan for an hour or two, so you can start the smoke as soon as you start the smoker & put the meat in, instead of putting it in without smoke first to get the pellicle.

Hope that helps---If not, ask me more.

Bear

So what do think about cold smoking it for awhile first. Then going to 180

Sure---As long as it's cured, that's another way of getting more time in smoke before you finish it in the end.
As long as it's cured & you got a pellicle on it, you can do what you want, but usually 10 hours is plenty of smoke, and you don't want to overdo it & make it too Dry.

Bear

Smoked the dried beef all day following Pop's brine recipe but your smoking times and temps. It is still really moist after 12 hours of smoke and hitting an internal temp of 165. I have put it back on at 160 and will run it for awhile but I am not sure what else to do any help would be appreciated.

Smoked the dried beef all day following Pop's brine recipe but your smoking times and temps. It is still really moist after 12 hours of smoke and hitting an internal temp of 165. I have put it back on at 160 and will run it for awhile but I am not sure what else to do any help would be appreciated.

I use Bears curing but dry alot longer. It takes me 30 hours to make mine.

It depends on how Dry you want it.
The commercial outfits make theirs much drier, but they have to pass special rules, and some of their packaging doesn't even require refrigeration.
I like mine more moist because I use 90% of it for regular cold Dried Beef & Cheese Sammies, and if it's too dry it will suck the moisture right out of the bread, making the bread seem like it is stale.

If you want it more dry, you can just keep it in the smoker for 20, 30, or even 60 hours longer @ 150° or 160°, but I wouldn't go above 160° with the smoker temp.

Hope that helps,
Bear

Dried Beef Step by Step (Great Stuff)

I decided to write this one up the best I can, because this stuff is Awesome, and I'd like as many of you as possible to get to taste this stuff!!!
It's really very easy to make:

When I was carrying a lunch box, I used to always have two Sammies in there.
If Mrs Bear put two Ham & Cheese in there, after 3 days, I'd get tired of it.
If it was Roast Beef, same thing after 3 or 4 days.
Lebanon & Cheese, maybe only two days & I was tired of it.
But Dried Beef was different, I could eat that for months, but it was always too expensive!!!

Dried Beef and American Cheese with Miracle Whip (or Mayo) on white bread has always been my favorite "lunch-box" sammy. That's what I carried on Construction jobs, Beth Steel jobs, Cabinetmaking jobs, and Deck jobs (also when fishing or hunting).
Just about every deer I ever shot had at least one hind quarter turned into "Dried Venison" by one of our local butcher shops in SE Pennsylvania.

Now I can make my own. I made my first batch 4 years ago, and they just keep getting better and better!

If I don't have any Venison, I just get some lean beef. Eye Round works the best for me---Nice shape, and very little trimming needed.

I'll try to make this as easy as I can, so anybody can do what I just learned how to do 4 years ago.

Day #1 (Prepping & starting the cure):
First I found some Beef Eye Round.
I got 4 roasts, equalling a total of 15 pounds, and after trimming all the fat off, I still had exactly 14 pounds of nice lean red Beef.

Then I weighed each piece, and put them each on their own plate, and marked the plates they were on with those weights.
Then I calculated the proper amount of Tender Quick for each piece, and put that on separate smaller plates.
I use the suggested amount, which is 1/2 ounce of TQ for every pound of meat.
Rub the proper amount of TQ on each piece, along with about 1 tsp of Brown Sugar per pound.
Then put each piece in a Zip-lock bag, along with any cure that fell off before it went into the bag.
That cure was measured for each piece, so it must stay with the piece it was designated for.

Then the bags go into the fridge at temperatures between 35˚ and 40˚ (I keep mine at 37˚-38˚).
To calculate how long to cure in fridge, I use the following method:
One day for every 1/2" of thickness of the thickest piece.
Then add 2 days for the absolute minimum number of days.
I then add 2 or 3 days to that for more safety, and to pick a day I like to smoke.
You can add another couple days if you can't smoke on one of those days.

My largest piece was 2 3/4" thick, so that gives me 6 days, plus 2 days for an absolute minimum of 8 days. Then I normally add 2 more days for more safety, but this time I added 4 more days (12 total days), so I could smoke it on a day I had nothing else to do.
Note: I Never cure for less than 7 days.

Day #13 (Remove from cure, and Prep for Smoking):
So after 12 days curing, I rinsed all 4 pieces off.
I usually soak my cured meats for a half hour or an hour, but since I never get any salt flavor, I decided not to this time.
I cut the biggest piece in half, and took a slice from the middle for my testing.
The center was dark reddish pink, so it was obvious that the cure got all the way in, and there was only a very slight salt flavor---Perfect!

I dried the pieces off, and managed to get them all laid out on one smoker shelf, after sprinkling some Black Pepper, Garlic Powder, and Onion Powder on both sides.
Then back into my meat fridge to await the next day's smoking.

Day #14 (Smoking Time):
6:00AM------------Preheat Smoker to 140˚.
6:30AM------------Put meat on 2nd position in MES. Sterilize Probes, and insert. Fill AMNS with Hickory Dust & light one end.
7:00AM------------Put AMNS on bars to left of Chip Drawer.
8:00AM------------Meat at 77˚ IT.
9:00AM------------Meat at 98˚ IT.
10:00AM----------Meat 108˚.
11:00AM----------Meat 114˚.
12:00Noon-------Meat 116˚. Bump Heat up to 160˚.
1:00PM-----------Meat 120˚.
2:00PM-----------Meat 124˚. Only 2" of Dust left to burn. I added about 1 1/4 rows of Hickory pellets next to burning Dust to ignite it.
2:00PM-----------Also Bump Heat up to 180˚.
3:00PM-----------Meat 132˚.
4:00PM-----------Meat 135˚.
5:00PM-----------Meat 137˚. Bump Heat to 200˚.
6:00PM-----------Meat 142˚.
7:00PM-----------Meat 147˚.
8:00PM-----------Meat 152˚.
9:00PM-----------Meat 157˚. AMNS ran out of fuel.
10:00PM---------Meat Temps from 158˚ to 162˚. Pulled all out of smoker.

Rinsed all pieces, patted dry, and cooled down to 100˚.
Then put in a bowl, and put in meat fridge for a couple days.

Day #16 (Slicing & Freezing):
Two days later, I moved the pieces to the freezer for 4 hours, and then sliced it all up.
I sliced the ends a little thicker for my Son.
He says the end slices are better tasting than any Jerky he ever had.
Then I sliced the rest as thin as I could, while still keeping it in full slices.

I ended up with 10 pounds, 2 ounces of the Best Dried Beef I ever tasted.

I put about 1/3 pound in each vacuum pack, and froze all but what we would eat in a few days.

I tried not to miss anything, but I'll try to answer any questions anyone has.

Bear

Trimming fat from 15 pounds of Eye Round Roast:
View attachment 339926

14 pounds left after trimming:
View attachment 339927

All weighed, and proper amounts of TQ in small plates to match each piece:
View attachment 339928

All ready for 12 days of curing:
View attachment 339929

Juice left in all 4 bags, after curing, was 7 ounces:
View attachment 339930

Sliced for Salt-fry Test. Color shows cure reached to center:
View attachment 339931

Salt-fry Test in progress:
View attachment 339932

Test showed "Just Right":
View attachment 339933

Ready for overnight in fridge before smoking day:
View attachment 339934

All pieces cut in half, and ready for slicing real thin:
View attachment 339935

Closeup to show color:
View attachment 339936

Victims all lined up:
View attachment 339937

All sliced up:
9 pounds, 7 ounces of slices, and 11 ounces of ends.
Total-----10 pounds, 2 ounces from 14 pounds of raw trimmed Eye Rounds:
View attachment 339938

Closeup of slices:
View attachment 339939

All ready for eating & freezing:
View attachment 339940
This is a easy recipe to make and I agree best ever dried beef

So I finally got around to making some dried beef. I followed the process in this thread to the T. All I can say is, where has this been all my life?!!! My wife who is very picky about smoked meats and such even likes this. I can honestly say I will be making a lot more of this in the future for myself and friends & family. Thanks for a great step by step bear, you never let us down.

So I finally got around to making some dried beef. I followed the process in this thread to the T. All I can say is, where has this been all my life?!!! My wife who is very picky about smoked meats and such even likes this. I can honestly say I will be making a lot more of this in the future for myself and friends & family. Thanks for a great step by step bear, you never let us down.

Thank You JZ !!
I'm always glad to hear when my Step by Steps are working good for any of you guys!!

Bear

Quick question Bear,
I'm gearing up to make some of this dried beef. But, I didn't find any eye of round. Or bottom round that I liked the looks of. I did buy two pieces of London Broil that looks very nice. Will that work for dried beef? I'm guessing it should. But wanted to run it by you first.

Quick question Bear,
I'm gearing up to make some of this dried beef. But, I didn't find any eye of round. Or bottom round that I liked the looks of. I did buy two pieces of London Broil that looks very nice. Will that work for dried beef? I'm guessing it should. But wanted to run it by you first.

Yes that will work Great, but the slices will be more narrow due to the size of the Top Round (London Broil), but that's not a big deal.
Try to trim all the exterior fat off of it first, because this is one of the ways fat is not a good thing on.

Take as long as you want to put smoke on, before bringing it to about 160°, and then stop.

Bear

Yes that will work Great, but the slices will be more narrow due to the size of the Top Round (London Broil), but that's not a big deal.
Try to trim all the exterior fat off of it first, because this is one of the ways fat is not a good thing on.

Take as long as you want to put smoke on, before bringing it to about 160°, and then stop.

Bear

Thanks Bear. There was very little fat to trim. One piece is 2.8 pounds. The other 2.0 pounds. I did some more researching. And found that London broil is a part of eye of round. Or in that neighborhood. So I followed your instructions about 2 hours ago. Trimmed, weighed. Thanks to TX smoker's gift with the scale. And bagged. I'm already seeing fluids build up in the zip lock bags. Can't wait to try some. This will be a looooong wait!

Thanks Bear. There was very little fat to trim. One piece is 2.8 pounds. The other 2.0 pounds. I did some more researching. And found that London broil is a part of eye of round. Or in that neighborhood. So I followed your instructions about 2 hours ago. Trimmed, weighed. Thanks to TX smoker's gift with the scale. And bagged. I'm already seeing fluids build up in the zip lock bags. Can't wait to try some. This will be a looooong wait!

Stay on those directions, and you'll love it.

After your first batch you can make adjustments if you want:
Smoking Longer before you get to 160° gives it more smoke.
Taking it to a higher Internal Temp can Dry it out more.
Removing it below 160 can make it more moist.

London Broil:
Actually I believe "London Broil" is a method of cooking one of the Rounds (Top, Eye, or Bottom), but stores usually call Top Round "London Broil". My guess is because it sounds better & sells better than "Top Round".

Bear

I'm going for a more dried version. Because I'll be using it for both sammies and chipped beef.

That's fine!!
I always keep mine on the "slightly moist" side, because I use most of it in Sammies with Fresh white Italian bread, and the commercial Dried Beef is so Dry that when you put it in a Sammy, it sucks the moisture right out of the bread making the bread the texture of Stale Bread. That was really a problem in the old days, when I was still working & carrying my lunch, because by the time lunch came around the bread in my Sammies was Dry as a Bone.

Just yell if you run into any Questions.

Bear

Reactions: Steve H
I forgot to post these the the day. Here are the pieces of meat weighed out and getting ready to get the TQ and brown sugar massage. And then into the bags. Bear, should I drain off the fluid as it builds up? I'm guessing that I shouldn't but wanted to be sure.

P4200522.jpg
P4200524.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky