Down to 3 choices of grills ..what's your pick?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Just bought a GMG Peak like a week or so ago. My 1st pellet smoker, while it does make some noise I don't know how it compares to others. But I have the option of adding a pizza oven attachment and a rotisserie also. Don't know of the others offer that but have several friends that I own one and all really like theirs.

And makes some mighty fine ribs!

Ryan
Thanks for the feedback! Im looking at the ledge and i do like the options that can be added

You might check with civilsmoker civilsmoker he is a GMG owner.
Mine has the the 12v system and the auger isn’t any louder than the fan. GMG is a very good grill for the price point. They have a true PID that when tested against some of the higher end grills it out flavored them many of them. GMG was one of the early adopters of the PID and they have a very good smoke profile, heavier than most pellets. I have made GMG recommendations to my 3 of my clients and all of them got one and they LOVE them. One had their older hot rod go out and they replaced for free with a new ceramic rod free under warrantee. The only issue between the 3 of them.

I have had mine for 6.5 years and it is still going strong!

Nice! Does the green mountain have a function for the smoke setting? Also, how is searing? Does the temp setting go by 5's or....? Thanks

Sorry for not responding right away... I had a very busy weekend. There is no "Smoke setting" per se on the smoker. But at 150 degrees (lowest setting) and with the use of a smoke tube, the meat gets plenty of smoke. I think the smoker gets up to 550 degrees. I had it up to 500 and that was plenty to sear a steak.
I’m not going to make this easy for you. A huge plus for the GMG is the 150 degree will super smoke any thing you want and you can also do peppers. I have smoked for 24 hours at 150. Best ground chili power in the world! On the high end 550 will sear and you can do pizza without the add on unless you want 700 deg pizza oven which it will do. The GMG PID and fan and auger is also variable speed to get better fire control .... these are huge functional elements to its operation.

PS I also have a Recteq 1250. The RT is built better but you pay for it. Oh you can get the RT590 delivered for a good price point as well....

I’m not going to make this easy for you. A huge plus for the GMG is the 150 degree will super smoke any thing you want and you can also do peppers. I have smoked for 24 hours at 150. Best ground chili power in the world! On the high end 550 will sear and you can do pizza without the add on unless you want 700 deg pizza oven which it will do. The GMG PID and fan and auger is also variable speed to get better fire control .... these are huge functional elements to its operation.

PS I also have a Recteq 1250. The RT is built better but you pay for it. Oh you can get the RT590 delivered for a good price point as well....
Nice! Sounds like a solid unit. I can tell you i am not a fan of the rec teq. My other choice was the grilla silverbac. Anybody have feedback on that unit? Thanks

Nice! Sounds like a solid unit. I can tell you i am not a fan of the rec teq. My other choice was the grilla silverbac. Anybody have feedback on that unit? Thanks
Just spend some time comparing the Silverbac and the Z-Grills 700E...... When I was researching grilla, I believe their (grilla) PID is/was American made, and the body oversees. One day I noticed Z-Grills was also selling a "double insulated bottom" and the light went on (Z-Grills 700E is NOT a PID controled)..... All that said, the PID is really the important part of a pellet and GMG has been at that game longer than any of the others you are looking at....(and longer than most pellets on the market)....

Reactions: chopsaw
Just spend some time comparing the Silverbac and the Z-Grills 700E...... When I was researching grilla, I believe their (grilla) PID is/was American made, and the body oversees. One day I noticed Z-Grills was also selling a "double insulated bottom" and the light went on (Z-Grills 700E is NOT a PID controled)..... All that said, the PID is really the important part of a pellet and GMG has been at that game longer than any of the others you are looking at....(and longer than most pellets on the market)....
Now I think I'll start patting myself on the back for getting a GMG after hearing that lol.
And those ribs I was talking about

20220403_211147.jpg

20220403_211300.jpg

20220403_214517.jpg

No wrap, started at 250 for an hour then up to 300. They were juicy and delicious with a nice bite.

Ryan

So, are you saying the grilla is a a solid unit? I was going to purchase the gmg from bbqguys. Are they legitimate? Reading some bad reviews on them

Last edited:
So, are you saying the grilla is a a solid unit?
Not really. I'm saying it "appears" to me that they have the same manufacture that makes Z-Grills making their bodies for them. Their PID is new to the market especially compared to GMG. I don't have any experience with the grilla's PID but I do with GMG and I trust GMG's and its one of the top proven PIDs.

In the end you need to make the decision that is "right" for you because there is NO perfect do everything pellet grill and even just a simple temp controlled pellet is better than not having one.

That said, for me, if I for some reason needed a new pellet today, my list would be recteq, GMG, and the Weber SmokeFire. I would be happy with anyone of them. If on a budget, I would grab a GMG all day long..... But let me think about it, I have a recteq, GMG, and a new Weber Gen..... so I already made the decision for MYSELF......

Not really. I'm saying it "appears" to me that they have the same manufacture that makes Z-Grills making their bodies for them. Their PID is new to the market especially compared to GMG. I don't have any experience with the grilla's PID but I do with GMG and I trust GMG's and its one of the top proven PIDs.

In the end you need to make the decision that is "right" for you because there is NO perfect do everything pellet grill and even just a simple temp controlled pellet is better than not having one.

That said, for me, if I for some reason needed a new pellet today, my list would be recteq, GMG, and the Weber SmokeFire. I would be happy with anyone of them. If on a budget, I would grab a GMG all day long..... But let me think about it, I have a recteq, GMG, and a new Weber Gen..... so I already made the decision for MYSELF......
Nice right up! Thanks for all the info. Rec teq is out. I do not like the design at all. I really like gmg and the pit bos pro 850 at lowes. Any thought on the pit boss? Keep in mind i never had a pellet grill so i cant compare to anything. Also, If anyone has feedback on bbqguys please let me know

Last edited:
Nice right up! Thanks for all the info. Rec teq is out. I do not like the design at all. I really like gmg and the pit bos pro 850 at lowes. Any thought on the pit boss? Keep in mind i never had a pellet grill so i cant compare to anything. Also, If anyone has feedback on bbqguys please let me know
I have only looked at them in the store. They do have a PID control 180-500 but have a slide plate for searing. They have a 5 year warrantee so that helps with potential electronic issues. From just visually and "lid" lifting, I do think the GMG are a little bit better build quality over all and the PID control 150-550 is wider, but they do only have a 3 year warrantee, we can't get the GMG around here for the price you noted above. That is a great price! If it is a local dealer have them swap for a ceramic ignitor if it doesn't have one already (they are only 14 or something like that). We can get the PB for that price......

I have only looked at them in the store. They do have a PID control 180-500 but have a slide plate for searing. They have a 5 year warrantee so that helps with potential electronic issues. From just visually and "lid" lifting, I do think the GMG are a little bit better build quality over all and the PID control 150-550 is wider, but they do only have a 3 year warrantee, we can't get the GMG around here for the price you noted above. That is a great price! If it is a local dealer have them swap for a ceramic ignitor if it doesn't have one already (they are only 14 or something like that). We can get the PB for that price......
I do like the temp control better on the gmg. The $599 was for the choice daniel boone. I am now looking at the prime plus ledge for $899 but its now on sale for $799. Another dealer has the daniel boone not the ledge but it does have the see thru glass and hopper glass. What would the difference be between the daniel boone and ledge?

Last edited:
The see thru glass, it will be smoke covered instantly anyhow. Don't hardly ever clean mine in the MES 40 anymore. Throw a dart, either will do its thing. Good luck !

Oh, ok you want the ledge, if you can spring for it. It has the 12v - 2 fan fire pit burner, ups the temp up to 550 vs 500, and all the new trendy add ons (front shelf, hoper dump, ash vacuum tube, dual temp probe). The choice was the original design, still a good unit.....

OK, I think I have my choice of pellet grills down to 3. Pit boss pro 850, camp chef sg24 or green mountain grills Daniel Boone. What would be the best in terms of guality, construction and options? Pit boss and camp chef are easiest to acquire
I would never try and change someone's mind, but before you go all in with pellet and augers and moving parts, I would gently recommend you look at the Masterbuilt gravity feed series of grills/smokers. I recently bought a 560 model at ridiculous clearance price at HD. Last weekend I put a slab or beef dino ribs on, filled with about 6lbs of Wally world lump and a couple chunks of hickory and post oak. Lit and set thermo to 235 degrees. got a six hour burn with temps steady between 230 and 245degrees (grate level with inkbird for reassurance).. ribs were wonderful. Trust me, I've got a Kamamdo "egg", a big ass offset stick burner, and aMb electric. I only use the gravity fed now. Your mileage may vary. good luck with your choice.

Not (directly) about your models … but over a year ago, I did an exhaustive evaluation of 4 models from other mfrs … evaluated about 10 criteria seemingly important or significant to me … did a spreadsheet to choke a horse using pairwise comparison based on EPA/Sandia Threat-Vulnerability Analysis … agonized for weeks … missed sales … at the end of the day I coulda just flipped coins or found a ouija board as it was so close I could make the statistics confess to anything.
As hard as it is for this recovering engineer, at some point you close your eyes, go with your gut, and start enjoying it.

Reactions: 912smoker
I do like the temp control better on the gmg. The $599 was for the choice daniel boone. I am now looking at the prime plus ledge for $899 but its now on sale for $799. Another dealer has the daniel boone not the ledge but it does have the see thru glass and hopper glass. What would the difference be between the daniel boone and ledge?
Rob, as I said, I used to own a Daniel Boone but upgraded to the Jim Bowie. As for the glass ... just not a selling point for me anymore. It was INITIALLY ... but like someone mentioned, within a short time that window is "smoked" over and you really cannot see through it into the smoker. Relatively useless. The same can be said for the internal light. I clean the window and the light more than I really use them. NOW ... the glass in the pellet hopper is a good thing. One quick glance and I can see the pellet level in the hopper. I love my Jim Bowie (Peak). Check out the space I have.

Attachments

• 0222221453_HDR.jpg
    0222221453_HDR.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 1124211526.jpg
    1124211526.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Ribs - 2021 - July 2 - Copy.jpg
    Ribs - 2021 - July 2 - Copy.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 16
  • 1017200949.jpg
    1017200949.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 1121201121b_HDR.jpg
    1121201121b_HDR.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 1126200852.jpg
    1126200852.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 16
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky