Down and Dirty Steak?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pokernut

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 11, 2011
Kinston North Carolina
    Has anybody ever tried this?

Im always up for trying new or interesting grilling ideas, recipes or foods, but this one seems risky, especially with Ribeyes at $9.99 a pound. Can anyone here say they have tried this method?

I must say though that I did try the trick of scoring the steaks before rubbing in my spices.... and my wife and I concur the steaks tasted amazing. I have always hated the amount of spices that I waste when grilling and this simple idea cures that.

Well I can honestly say I have never seen anyone cook a steak like that. I was amazed it didn't seem to get more ash on it than it did. Try it out and let us know how well it works.

I can't say that I have tried this yet, but I do have some venison loin at home I was going to grill. I think I will give it a try with a piece of it and cook it with the same seasonings and everything else the same but I will use the method described in the video and give it a try it looks awesome to me. 

I haven't tried it...YET!

You guys ought to know by now that I'm game for just about anything when it comes to cookin!

Definitely trying this!

One thing I noticed and you gotta love...only a redneck will spend that much time preparing and plating the perfect meal on a Red SOLO plate!!!!  LOL

yahoo.gif

Bill

I kinda thought the same thing about the blower but I guess as Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor once said "more power, oh, oh, oh"

Well in preparation for tonight's meal I decided that I wanted to make a small grill that will hold the lump for the down and dirty/caveman style cooking. I went out into my fab shop at work and whipped this up quickly over a break this morning.

It is 24x13x4 for the actual area that will hold coals. I am thinking this will make a sweet little grill so I am eventually going to cut out an expanded metal grate for the top of it so I can use it as a mini grill as well for tailgating and things.  It stands a little over 8" tall, and I used all scrap we had around the shop, so I got it for free and only took me 15 min to whip up. 

I am planing on trying chicken tonight in it after I burn it out to make sure all the oils and things are out of the metal.  I am going to put some chicken breasts on caveman style and see how they turn out should be a fun experiment.

We have cooked steaks and spatchcocked chicken like this when we have been camping. We use the super hot coals from our campfire, so basically lump. Works great, however if your using sagebrush and juniper, you're going to taste that on the meat! We burn a bunch of that when we go desert camping!

Nice looking box Sir, can you build me one...or invite me over for some dinner, down and dirty style!
I could build one but the shipping would probably not be very cheap. Its a very simple thing to make.  A 32" x 13 1/4"  x 1/8" piece of steel tread plate, with a 2" 90° bend down on both ends, then from there its a 4" 90° bend down from the other bend. That will give you a 24" x 13 1/4" top. Then I just cut (2) 4" x 23 3/4" (1/8" thick tread plate) and then (2) 4" x 13 1/4" pieces. Those (4) pieces welded together to make the top.  Before I weld them on I cut some notches so that air could get to the coals. You don't have to use tread plate, it was just what I had laying around.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky