Double Smoked Pulled Ham Fauxtato Chowder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Like many of you I jumped in the pulled ham wagon this month. Early in the month I did a couple and then I did 50 lbs of shank and butts prior to our family Christmas gathering (henceforth known as COVID festival 2021). I served pulled ham wraps with shredded swiss, peppery arugula and Sam’s Club fried dill pickle dip , now dubbed the Heavenly Ham wrap! Seriously you need to try it. I also sent all families home with big vacuum packs of pulled ham. Before freezing some I decided to create a keto chowder. Here is the general recipe / process. Note the recipe will be approximate and unorganized 🙂 Sauté one medium diced onion in a few T butter and set aside. (i used up some pearl onions as well) In a large pot add one large cauliflower cut up with 4 cups chicken broth. Simmer until the cauliflower is tender. While you are doing that do a small dice on a couple medium turnips and boil till semi soft. Back to the large pot add 8 oz cream cheese and 8 oz heavy cream. Stir until the cheese mostly melts and then hit it with an immersion blender until you have a creamy smooth base. Salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder to taste. I may have done a t of each. Add in the turnips, about 3 -4 cups leftover shredded ham cut to bite size. You could just use cubed ham. Simmer a bit to meld flavors. Very hard to tell its not a potato ham chowder. I shared this recipe with BrianGSDTexoma BrianGSDTexoma and I believe he added celery as well. For those of you who like celery it’s a perfect addition. As I alluded to early in the post COVID was gifted to several of us at our gathering. Our gathering was last Thursday and by Sunday myself and two others were wiped out. Feeling markedly improved today finally. Had intended to reshoot this and add OINK for the Throwdown but most has been eaten and I’m not feeling the energy to do much yet lol. Thought I’d go ahead and share for anyone who might have some ham to use up! Give it a go even if you don’t do keto or low carb. I guarantee it will surprise you.
7902CB0D-5873-4576-95BC-71C9E8809DFC.jpeg
B4137BDF-7401-46E8-9A84-D029937F0D78.jpeg
79D9EE74-1247-4DAF-88C7-5A18113F98A9.jpeg

That chowder probably the best I have had. I did not add celery this time but will probably try next. I have started giving my extra's to friends at our Thursday brewery meeting, tired of filling freezer with left overs, and gave some chowder away. This morning had this message:

Your chowder was wonderful!! Tell me more. You said it was cauliflower based. I liked it because it wasn't heavy.

Reactions: jcam222
That chowder probably the best I have had. I did not add celery this time but will probably try next. I have started giving my extra's to friends at our Thursday brewery meeting, tired of filling freezer with left overs, and gave some chowder away. This morning had this message:

Your chowder was wonderful!! Tell me more. You said it was cauliflower based. I liked it because it wasn't heavy.
Thanks for the feedback Brian! I plan on making this again in a few weeks to nail down seasoning amounts and then enter in a few of the magazine recipe contests. It’s simple yet very good. That’s often what they look for

Another fantastic cook and presentation as always Jeff, big Like! Hope you get to feeling better ASAP. RAY

Looks great Jeff and thanks for sharing your recipe. Haven't tried the PH yet but it looks like I need to .
Glad they're feeling better and hope the rest of the fam is too !

Keith

Looks great Jeff. You are very inventive and creative in the kitchen
We had the Christmas Covid Curse (CCC) here, too. Daughter and I shook it off pretty fast, but wife is still not over the hump.
The cooking must have been before the curse. Loss of smell and taste really killed any cooking thoughts for me.

Looks great Jeff. You are very inventive and creative in the kitchen
We had the Christmas Covid Curse (CCC) here, too. Daughter and I shook it off pretty fast, but wife is still not over the hump.
The cooking must have been before the curse. Loss of smell and taste really killed any cooking thoughts for me.
Thanks so much. Hoping your wife improves quickly! It’s incredible how many people I know that have gotten it over the holidays. My wife had it but about a month ago and lost her taste and smell. My brother in law and I took ill last Sunday. He lost his taste but I haven’t. Seems about 30% do. My wife’s is coming back now. I cooked this the first day I was sick. Felt like a cold that day and the soup get like a fit for that. By that night I was wiped out.

Last edited:
Looks delicious as heck Jeff. Sorry to hear about the covid festival and hope all are on the mend!
Great looking meal . Hope you get to feeling 100 % .
Another fantastic cook and presentation as always Jeff, big Like! Hope you get to feeling better ASAP. RAY
Looks great Jeff and thanks for sharing your recipe. Haven't tried the PH yet but it looks like I need to .
Glad they're feeling better and hope the rest of the fam is too !

Keith
Looks very good Jeff, and nice ingredients,

Sorry you and yours became sick , hope all will be better soon

David
Looks incredible, as always! Thank you for sharing! Prayers for quick recovery!
Great looking stick to the ribs comfort food!
I reckon you could use a little comfort...
Looks excellant Jeff , never tried pulled ham but I might have to now
Thanks all!! I’d definitely recommend this soup to anyone looking for a hearty soup keto or not. I was just thinking too that this would be might fine if you threw some shredded cheddar in while cooking to make it a cheesy ham chowder. Appreciate the well wishes. I’m up and about the house and the majority of symptoms subsided. Just get wore out easily and have nasal congestion left. Headed in the right direction.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
I just finished off that Chowder. Just keeps keeping better. I would encourage you to try this even if not doing Keto! This the best. Going to make clam with it next time.

That looks delicious Jeff, as always! We might have to give this a try! My other half seems to think we should get unrounded! I have no problem with round...it's better than square! Can't say for sure if I've ever had turnip before. But adding the shredded cheese sure sounds good!

Ryan

Like many of you I jumped in the pulled ham wagon this month. Early in the month I did a couple and then I did 50 lbs of shank and butts prior to our family Christmas gathering (henceforth known as COVID festival 2021). I served pulled ham wraps with shredded swiss, peppery arugula and Sam’s Club fried dill pickle dip , now dubbed the Heavenly Ham wrap! Seriously you need to try it. I also sent all families home with big vacuum packs of pulled ham. Before freezing some I decided to create a keto chowder. Here is the general recipe / process. Note the recipe will be approximate and unorganized 🙂 Sauté one medium diced onion in a few T butter and set aside. (i used up some pearl onions as well) In a large pot add one large cauliflower cut up with 4 cups chicken broth. Simmer until the cauliflower is tender. While you are doing that do a small dice on a couple medium turnips and boil till semi soft. Back to the large pot add 8 oz cream cheese and 8 oz heavy cream. Stir until the cheese mostly melts and then hit it with an immersion blender until you have a creamy smooth base. Salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder to taste. I may have done a t of each. Add in the turnips, about 3 -4 cups leftover shredded ham cut to bite size. You could just use cubed ham. Simmer a bit to meld flavors. Very hard to tell its not a potato ham chowder. I shared this recipe with BrianGSDTexoma BrianGSDTexoma and I believe he added celery as well. For those of you who like celery it’s a perfect addition. As I alluded to early in the post COVID was gifted to several of us at our gathering. Our gathering was last Thursday and by Sunday myself and two others were wiped out. Feeling markedly improved today finally. Had intended to reshoot this and add OINK for the Throwdown but most has been eaten and I’m not feeling the energy to do much yet lol. Thought I’d go ahead and share for anyone who might have some ham to use up! Give it a go even if you don’t do keto or low carb. I guarantee it will surprise you. View attachment 520650View attachment 520651View attachment 520652
Jeff, this is my type of recipe..for sure I will be making this.
I will most likely use cubed ham, mainly because it's just easier for me when I want soup to buy a small ham.
Thanks a bunch.
Dan.:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Jeff, this is my type of recipe..for sure I will be making this.
I will most likely use cubed ham, mainly because it's just easier for me when I want soup to buy a small ham.
Thanks a bunch.
Dan.:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
Let me know how you like it. My wife and I liked it so much I’m making more this week.

Late for the party but you're aware of where my time has gone recently :emoji_wink:

That looks absolutely amazing Jeff, and the perfect meal for today. It's cold, raining, and windy...just a miserable day. That chowder would hit the spot in a big way. Excellent job my friend.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky