Double smoked ham.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
Did a simple boneless ham. Never had this brand. So didn't really know what to expect. I only used smoke. No drippings, no glaze.

OI000048.jpg

A few folks here spoke up and said they were ok. So, I gave it a rub with pepper and put her in the smoker.

After 5 hours at 225 degrees. It hit 140 IT. I used apple pellets in the tray.

OI000010.jpg

Let it cool and pulled the net. And sliced it thin.

OI000011.jpg

Taste? Meh. Not bad. Nothing to write home about. The 2nd smoke took it from a lackluster ham to something kinda presentable. It almost has more of a Canadian bacon flavor to it.
It'll work fine for lunch meat I think.

Last edited:
I've done a second smoke on 'ready to cook hams' that came out ok. I wonder if this 'fully cooked' product didn't take the smoke as well as you wanted?

Looks like pretty good sanny stuff Steve, maybe stack a couple slices up for some eggs Benedict! Was this a opportunity to play with the meat slicer that Santa brought to you? RAY

I've done a second smoke on 'ready to cook hams' that came out ok. I wonder if this 'fully cooked' product didn't take the smoke as well as you wanted?

I think the skin inhibited it some. But I got the results I wanted.

Looks like pretty good sanny stuff Steve, maybe stack a couple slices up for some eggs Benedict! Was this a opportunity to play with the meat slicer that Santa brought to you? RAY

Thanks Ray. That was the second time I've used the new slicer. I'm really pretty happy with it.

Looks Great Steve!!
I never cared for them, because of the tough skin, and lack of Fat.
However slicing it thin Makes a lot of Great Sammies, for a good price, and better than buying Sliced Deli Ham (Price & Flavor).
Good Job!
Like.

Bear

Steve That looks like a deli ham being so round. I've never tried the boneless
Richie

Steve, curious if this tasted similar to black forest deli ham? I plan to cure and double smoke my own hoping to achieve something similar.

Looks pretty darn god to me!
Al
Thanks Al!

Looks Great Steve!!
I never cared for them, because of the tough skin, and lack of Fat.
However slicing it thin Makes a lot of Great Sammies, for a good price, and better than buying Sliced Deli Ham (Price & Flavor).
Good Job!
Like.

Bear
Thanks Bear! I was hoping this would make decent lunch meat.

View attachment 478822
Looks pretty good from where I am sitting Steve. LIKE!
Lol! Thanks! I'm actually watching TWD while I'm typing this.

looks good Steve, looks like some sammies in the future.
Thanks Jim!

Steve That looks like a deli ham being so round. I've never tried the boneless
Richie
It isn't bad for that purpose.

Nice stack of sammies there.

Warren
Thanks Warren!

Steve, curious if this tasted similar to black forest deli ham? I plan to cure and double smoke my own hoping to achieve something similar.
No, it isn't at all like Black Forest ham. It's not much more then the lean deli ham from store with a bit more smoky flavor.

I see some grilled ham and smoked swiss cheese sammies on that plate with a bowl of homemade soup on the side. Nice Job Steve.

Point for sure
Chris

I see some grilled ham and smoked swiss cheese sammies on that plate with a bowl of homemade soup on the side. Nice Job Steve.

Point for sure
Chris

Thanks Chris! The sammie and soup idea sounds great to me! I am planning on making a batch of bacon potato chowder this weekend. There might be room for a sammie in there!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky