Door seal mod... Need help!

Discussion in 'Propane Smokers' started by bobbydrake, May 25, 2010.

1. bobbydrake

bobbydrake Fire Starter

I got a cheap Lowes Perfect Flame vertical propane smoker, and it is working great.  The one big problem is that the leaks smoke around the door.  I found a local place that had wood stove door gaskets.  I picked up several feet, but I have a problem.  How do I install the stuff?  It is a round fiberglass rope adn the area around my door is smooth.  I assume I ned some sort of high heat sealant to act as a glue to hold the gasket rope in place. Anyone have any product recommendations?  Thanks in advance.

2. phrogs4ever

phrogs4ever Fire Starter

I did a quick search and couldn't find a picture of the Perfect Flame Smoker so I don't know if this idea will help or not.  I have a Char-Broiler Double Chef Smoker and I used the felt strips that seal the Big Green Egg lid.  It's available anywhere the BGE is sold, it worked for me to seal the charcoal access door.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  3. chefrob

chefrob Master of the Pit OTBS Member

az
    you might get away with a high temp silicone but i'm sure someone will come by who has done this mod.

4. tom37

tom37 Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Yes the high temp silicone will work great. Just lay a wide bead and then lay the rope into the silicone. here is a pic on mine that has had the gasket on for several years.

[​IMG]

5. danielh

danielh Meat Mopper

Hi-temp RTV

6. bobbydrake

bobbydrake Fire Starter

Sweet, Thanks for all the advice.  I will probobly get it done this weekend.