Done too early

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Tntenor

Original poster
Dec 30, 2017
Hey guys, first time posting because I can always find the right info here (but I don’t see this yet).

I had two butts to smoke for this afternoon with total weight of almost 20 pounds. I wanted to make sure they were done in time so I put them in last night. Now its 10:00am and they are done, but I don’t need them til 5:00. I have wrapped them and put them in the cooler. Am I good til 5:00 or do I need to do something else?

If you're using them for pulled pork I'd pull'em after the usual amount of rest time.Reheat in a covered foil pan with some liquid,preferably the drippings from the butts and you'll be fine.

Reactions: tallbm
20 pounds of Pork at 205°, wrapped in blankets and in a cooler, preferably just big enough to hold them, should easily still be 140°F+ after 7 hours. That is a lot of dense mass holding the heat...JJ

Just in case and for Newbies.... 1, 2 or 5 Butts will take only slightly longer to cook than a single Butt? If you figure 1 - 8 pound Butt will take 12 hours. 2 - 8 pound Butts will still only take 12 hours, not 24 hours. The timing will be based on the largest Butt, not the cumulative weight of multiple Butts...JJ

Reactions: kruizer
Thank you. I thought so but didn’t know how much extra to include. Hence being done 7 hours early
Just in case and for Newbies.... 1, 2 or 5 Butts will take only slightly longer to cook than a single Butt? If you figure 1 - 8 pound Butt will take 12 hours. 2 - 8 pound Butts will still only take 12 hours, not 24 hours. The timing will be based on the largest Butt, not the cumulative weight of multiple Butts...JJ

It's hard to say, timing depends on the Type of Smoker and Heat Source. The Temp you like to Smoke at. The Temp of the Meat going in. The Spacing of the Meat and the Number of Additional Butts.

I GUESSTIMATE, 2 additional hours for the first Butt and 1 additional hour for successive Butts...JJ

Yeah, my electric will struggle Keeping higher temp (I like to do butts at 250-275) with a huge mass of cold meat and take a while longer ... the kamado has no problem holding the higher temp.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky