Doing a turkey today now with QVIEW

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

63falconht

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
Sacramento
was digging through the freezer cleaning it out last weekend.  Found a turkey we bought at xmas.  Decided this would store better in my belly then it would in the freezer.

it's been soaking in

1/2 gallon apple juice

1/2 gallon vegitable stock

pepper corns

thyme

rosemary

sage

and sea salt

for about 18 hours

Going to start the grill in about an hour. 

I'll dust it with black pepper/salt and rub it down with some pressed garlic under the skin.  Stuffing it with apples and onion.

shooting for a 350* cook temp with a light smoke.  Gonna put use more of a direct heat than the side draft.  I'll have 2 fires one on each side of it and use a little foil here and there.

Any tips i can adjust to on the fly would be greatly appreciated.  forgot to post this up earlier.  This is my first turkey.

thanks and qview will be up from time to time.

b2525d71_IMAG0318.jpg

Extremely happy with how it turned out.  great flavor plenty juicy.  pulled at 167 in the breast.  a little darker than i wanted.  should have covered it better but it didn't hurt it in the end.  Glad i rubbed seasoning under the skin.  got the bones cooking down for stock now.  First time for that too. 
9203f996_IMAG0322.jpg

That's one good looking bird! Great job! Wish you would have cut into it so we could see how the inside looked. 

That's one good looking bird! Great job! Wish you would have cut into it so we could see how the inside looked. 

I always think about that as i'm doing it.  I was covered in turkey juice when i thought about it and didn't wanna wash my hands for the 17th time in 2 minutes.  Admittedly I had to pose the turkey this way for the photo cause i'd already been picking at it with my fingers.

This thing made an awesome soup stock.  Cooked down the mirapoix in some olive oil and a little butter and let that puppy simmer for 4 hours with your basic basil, rosemary and thyme seasoning.  Some peppercorns and a clove of garlic.  Wish I had some cloves in the house but no such luck.  cleaned it out and ran it through some cheese cloth a few times. 

It's gonna be turkey soup for the bowl tonight!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky