Doing 45lbs of pulled pork for Saturday...got a couple questions...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jpdeuce

Original poster
Jun 3, 2010
A friend has asked me to do a bunch of pulled pork for a party of 60+ this weekend.  I did 30 lbs for July 4th, so I feel comfortable I can handle it.  I have some questions though.

I'd like to smoke the meat Thursday. 

What do I need to consider if I do it this way?  I'm used to pulling it off the smoker or out of the oven (wrapped in foil) when it reaches temp, wrapping and putting in a cooler for 30min to an hour, and then opening it up to pull it and eat it. 

How do I deal with the pork after pulling it off the smoker or out of the oven?  What do I do with it Friday?  What should I do with it on Saturday before the party?

Also, is there anything I should consider doing to make sure it doesn't dry out for the party?

Thanks in advance for the help.

JP

are you going to mix bbq sause into the pork when you pull it? if you do it will stop it from drying out. id leave em whole and reheat the day of the party . the butts are prett fatty so i wouldnt think they would dry out.  reheat, pull and serve, just my 2 cents.

Planned on making the BBQ sauce Saturday and bringing to the party to put on the sandwiches if people so wished.

I was thinking I could throw them all in the oven Saturday as well and then pull before the party.  Should I bring them up to a certain temp for this?  Or just warm them up?  I was concerned about the fridge making them dry.

cool.gif

I do this all the time. I would either stay up all friday night (my choice) and smoke it before the party and then serve it then. Or you can smoke it before and then just re-heat the meat on saturday before the party. I use a steamer pot (I have a few) and then into the foil pans to serve the meat. You can also use a crock pot to keep the meat hot or you can use those foil pans with the sterno fire cans. Now I have made different sauces for the folks to add to their meat but I also have mixed some sauce into the meat and just have different pans of meat.   

Sounds good.  When I re-heat the meat on Saturday, do I need to re-heat it to a certain temp, or just hot/warm enough to eat?  I guess I could get a rotation of the meat in a crock pot...not a bad idea.

I'm trying to avoid staying up all night, or getting up at the butt crack of dawn on Saturday.  I'm going to be working my a$$ off in the yard Saturday and won't be able to focus.  Hence this plan.

Thanks for all the input.

I do this quite often. Do your normal smoke and rest then pull the pork like normal. Get some of those aluminum disposable roasting pans and either put the pulled pork into them or into ziplocks bags then put it into the roasting pans the day off. When you put it into the pans mix some finishing sauce or the de-fatted juice or just some apple juice then put foil tight over the top and reheat in the oven or in the smoker. It will be as good or better than fresh off the smoker

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky