Does this temp difference seem normal?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bpointer01

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 4, 2012
NW Ohio
I bought an ET-732 recently and it showed up in the mail last week.  I also bought a smokey joe dial therm to replace the shady masterbuilt unit.  This morning, I messed around with stuff just to be sure that everything was ready to go for my big cook tonight so I fired up the smoker and brought it up to temp.  With the Maverick probe in the middle and front of the grate near the smokey joe, both were reading pretty dead nuts together.  All is well, shut er down.  Tonight, I started everything back up to get ready to start briskets for tomorrow's big party.  Now, the Maverick probe is on the same shelf but now it is on the left side about midway back into the smoker to make room for the brisket.  Now, the door therm is reading 175* while the maverick probe is at 230*.  Does that seem normal?

bpointer, morning....  Most smokers have sections that are warmer than others..... Depends on the air inlet and exhaust location and anything inside the smoker that routes or re routes heat..... Usually an engineering thing...  Smoker modifications to even temps out is normal for some folks.... I'm not familiar with your particular smoke so I could be full of BS...  There is a search bar near the top of the page....  Type in the name of your smoker and the word modifications or mods and do a search...  The members here are really good about documenting changes they make to their smokers to pass the info on to others.....   If you make mods, post pics for others to see so they can learn also.....  You can always rotate the food to try and overcome these difference...    Let us know how it goes....   Dave

Dave , did you chech the Smoky Joe therm.? It could be off . As Dave says, send a picture of the Smoker (inside and out and in the cooking chamber) so we can help you better.

Have a happy 4th and let us know what you are doing (along with pics).
biggrin.gif

Have fun and ...

I checked both out with both a boiling water test and the mavericks sith ice as  well and they both checked out.  I slid the maveick probe to the front of the rack after posting here and suer enough, the mav was reading right with the Joe. Seems like a serious difference but there was a lot of meat in the thing too.  Here are some pics of my rig from when it was new.  I have the racks evenly spaced now BTW.

8ffc6051_285630_3729430708028_1110772391_n.jpg

7577104c_552874_3728747090938_1896446527_n.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky