Does the pork butt plus the picnic equal the pork shoulder?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
a picnic is the shoulder and arm. It usually comes with a layer of skin. As solar said a whole shoulder includes the butt

c4626cf5_picnic.jpg

I got this off the web

The first, and probably most common, is Boston butt. Boston butt comes from high on the hog, above the shoulder blade, and has lots of juicy, marbled fat. This is probably what most people buy when they purchase pork shoulder in a grocery store. It's a versatile piece of meat that you can just as easily roast or braise. For home cooks, it's also very inexpensive.

Below the butt is the pork shoulder. This cut includes most of the hog's front leg quarter. Because the leg muscles work a lot more than the back, the meat is a little tougher here than the butt, thus requiring a bit more time to coax out tenderness.

Last edited:
I've talked with a couple of butchers and they said that the term Boston Butt is a regional name that's not used in my area but when I asked them about the pork shoulders they were selling and how they compare to Boston Butt they said they're the same thing.  But you're (boykjo) saying the pork shoulder is below the butt.  I thought the picnic was below the butt.

I'm sort of confused here.  What am I missing?

Last edited:
The butt Is apart of the shoulder

Here's a better diagram

b3ffd382_pig-large1900.gif

Okay.  Below the butt is the picnic shoulder not the pork shoulder.  That would make sense.

Thanks for the diagrams and explanation.

Yep.................. Usually the lower part of the shoulder is called a pork picnic and the upper part is called a butt or pork shoulder.

Joe

With a little study, you will readily recognize them.

In my area the butt is usually called pork butt or a Boston butt or shoulder butt roast. The different terminology would be confusing, but you will soon be able to identify them by sight.

Good luck and good smoking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky