does anyone know what kind of pepper i need to add to "mild Italian" sausage to make it hot

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cal1956

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Apr 14, 2015
Colorado
i ordered two kinds of Italian sausage from my favorite supplier ( hot and mild ) and they were out of the hot so now i want to make the mild hot any ideas ?

Good old Crushed Red Pepper from any grocery is classic. Most producers add Paprika so the Sausage turns Red and can be easily distinguished from the Sweet Sausage on the Grill or same plate...JJ

Reactions: JC in GB
Cayenne is what I used to use when I was still able to make sausages.
Only thing with Cayenne is it sneaks up on you later, like on your 3rd or 4th Beef Stick---Ouch!!!

Bear

Reactions: JC in GB
i ordered two kinds of Italian sausage from my favorite supplier ( hot and mild ) and they were out of the hot so now i want to make the mild hot any ideas ?

I made some Italian for the first time this past weekend, so I may not be the best resource. But all recipes I found called for crushed red pepper flakes, and many also called for cayenne as well. I used both and it tastes good!

Reactions: bill ace 350
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky