Does Anyone Have a Problem Eating Cucumbers?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
I love cucumbers but the day after I can still taste them and burb up it up constantly. I going to have to quit I guess unless there is a certain kind that does not do it. I may try English ones or maybe pickling ones. I really don't want to give them up.

Reactions: JLeonard
I have a buddy that has this issue. Also have a few friends with a similar issue with green peppers. No issues for me but radishes on the other hand (yet still worth it.) LOL

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
I’ve noticed that also. But, with my Crohns a lot of foods hurt my GI tract. I just take the hit in the gut and roll with it. Might try the English as suggested above.

Jim

I'll have the taste and a small burp or two a short time after eating them, but never next day.

Try Persian cucumbers.

My wife had the same problem many years ago, and while later shopping at a grocery, I bought some and she's never had a problem since.

Compared to the standard cucumbers you find in most markets they're a bit smaller, very thin skinned (no peeling necessary), seedless, and have much more flavor.

There are garden centers that sell a "burpless" variety bedding plant. You might try removing the seeds.

Try Persian cucumbers.

My wife had the same problem many years ago, and while later shopping at a grocery, I bought some and she's never had a problem since.

Compared to the standard cucumbers you find in most markets they're a bit smaller, very thin skinned (no peeling necessary), seedless, and have much more flavor.
Only place around here that sells is Trader Joe's. I will be making a run there soon but just do it ever few months. I will get some when I go. Thanks.

I will look for those but probably not going to find without going to Dallas which is to far.
Around here (north GA) every chain grocery store such as Kroger, Publix, Wal-Mart, ect has them year round. Usually about $1.50-$2.00 each. Sometimes they are called Hot House cucumbers. I remember seeing a lot of Albertsons out in Texas. If there's one of those nearby I would expect it to stock them.
They are long and skinny. Usually individually wrapped in a thick cellophane type packaging and in the non-refrigerated part of the produce dept.
Looks like this:
images.jpg

Good topic. I HATE CUCUMBERS!!! There I said it. I can eat the $h1t out of pickles but I cannot stand the taste of cucumbers. If my wife gets upset with me, she goes and has a few bites, then comes to kiss me. UUGHH!!! Never have liked them. Like I said I'll eat pickles and I'll even eat the tzikie, (Spelling), sauce for gyros.

• Haha
Reactions: Fueling Around
I don't know that anyone in my house has any issues, but I grow "burpless" varieties anyhow.

I can eat my weight in cucumbers. Love the damn things. They do give me a serious case of the farts though. BUT....I can't think of a time when that is a bad thing. After I hit 50, I started enjoying cranking a pooter around other people like I did when I was a kid.
They don't give me gas (cabbage is another story!) but I kinda wish that did lol. My wife likes to tell me I never matured past the 3rd grade. And she knew me in the 3 grade :emoji_slight_smile:

Try Armenian cucumber. Also known as snake melon.
A cousin to the traditional cucumber varieties.

I'm not a big fan of cucumber unless in a Bahn Mi or tzatziki

Good topic. I HATE CUCUMBERS!!! There I said it. I can eat the $h1t out of pickles but I cannot stand the taste of cucumbers. If my wife gets upset with me, she goes and has a few bites, then comes to kiss me. UUGHH!!! Never have liked them. Like I said I'll eat pickles and I'll even eat the tzikie, (Spelling), sauce for gyros.
Don't piss off the wife?

I guess it caused by Cucurbitacins.
That was an interesting read.

Either English or Asian varieties your looking for ones that are thin skinned and have no or not many seeds. Most are thinner and longer than traditional cucumbers. You can google burpless cucumber varieties and get a decent. Most grocery stores in our area carry them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky