Do you need to separate the point and flat for making pastrami?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Kyleblun

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 25, 2021
Hi

I have been looking at Pastrami recipes and some tell you to separate the point and flat before curing and some say to keep the brisket whole. Which is the best way?

Reactions: JLeonard
I dont need a whole brisket since it only me and usual just cut in two. Smoke the point and make Pastrami with the flat. You can do it whole or half. Are you using cure #1 and how are you calculating it?

I dont need a whole brisket since it only me and usual just cut in two. Smoke the point and make Pastrami with the flat. You can do it whole or half. Are you using cure #1 and how are you calculating it?
I did exactly that (almost done). I bought a full packer, and thanks to many on this forum's help, I cut off the point and used the flat for the pastrami. I am pulling it out of the brine in a couple of days, then doing a final season and smoke. The point it ready to go for a nice smoke and burnt ends!

I am using #1 salt. I actually have not calculated it yet. What do you recommend?

I did exactly that (almost done). I bought a full packer, and thanks to many on this forum's help, I cut off the point and used the flat for the pastrami. I am pulling it out of the brine in a couple of days, then doing a final season and smoke. The point it ready to go for a nice smoke and burnt ends!
Then that is what I will do too. Thanks

I made the brine as follows:
  • ~6 lb flat I separated from a full packer
    • kosher salt (1.5 cups),
    • brown sugar (0.5 cups),
    • 32 oz. Apple juice,
    • 3 qts water,
    • 3.5 TBS pickling spice,
    • 3.2 tsp #1 Prague for

I am using #1 salt. I actually have not calculated it yet. What do you recommend?
For a dry brine take a look at Al's

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky