Dizzy Peruvian Cluckers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bakerman

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 19, 2011
Columbia Maryland
I got a new toy last week. Picked up an "Only Fire" rotisserie for the Weber 22 kettle. First rotisserie cook ever.
Also picked up some new to me "Green Egg Brazilian" lump charcoal for a test run.
I put two 7lb. chickens overnight in the Pollo ala Brasa marinade. Made an authentic Aji Verde sauce to pair with the birds. Both recipies are below for those curious to try it.
Set up the kettle for 2 indirect heat sources with a drip pan in the center. Loaded a chimney with the Brazilian lump and fired it up. Got to 400deg and put the trussed birds on the spit.
After 1 hour nice golden brown color IT at 140deg. 2 hours 150deg. 2.5 hours 165deg. and removed to rest.
Rested for 30 minutes and carved 'em up.

Served with plain white rice, broccoli florets, and the Aji Verde sauce. Home Run all around! This rotisserie is a keeper.

Here are the recipies followed by some pictures.

Aji Verde:
  • 2 green jalapeno peppers , seeded
  • 2 cups loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
  • 1 small clove garlic
  • 1 green onion , chopped
  • 2 teaspoons huacatay paste
  • 1 tablespoon aji amarillo paste
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
  • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 cup Cotija, Queso Fresco, or Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cup good quality mayonnaise
Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until a smooth paste. Keep refrigerated for up to a week. I doubled everything because my wife and kids loved it.

Pollo ala Brasa Marinade:

1/3 cup Soy sauce
Juice of 2 Limes
5 cloves of Garlic
3 tbsp Vegetable Oil
1 tbsp Huacatay Paste (important)
2 tbsp Aji Amarillo paste (important)
1 tsp Dried Oregano
1 tsp Kosher salt
1 tsp Black Pepper
1 tbsp Cumin

Blend ingredients in blender and pour over chicken in gallon size ziplock for overnight marinade. Remove from marinade pat dry, skewer and roast. Make Aji Verde the night before if possible. I doubled this as well since I was doing two chickens.

This took about 2.5 hours, I had to add more charcoal after the first hour to maintain temp at around 350-400. I have made this chicken in the oven before and it was really good. However grilling it with the rotisserie and the lump charcoal took it to a new level. Maybe the best bird I have had. Evenly cooked, moist, tender, perfect Dizzy Peruvian Chicken.
Start.jpg
1hour.jpg
2hour.jpg
done.jpg
Brazilian charcoal.jpg

Hope you all try this. The Aji Verde sauce takes it to another level. I apologize for the lack of a plate picture I was not fast enough. Everything was gone in minutes.
If you have trouble sourcing the Aji Amarillo and the Huacatay paste it is available from Amazon. I found them in my neighborhood Latino Mercado. They are essential to the Verde.

What to spin next?

Bakerman

Thanks for the responses everyone. Meal was a sucess, so I am pleased.
Chili, the sauce is amazing. The Aji Amarillo paste is delicious and the Haucatay (Black Mint) adds a real "earthyness" to the sauce. I've made it twice in the past 3 weeks. Surprised how much my family liked it.
Like I noted they can be had from Amazon. If you have a Latino market near you I would look there first. They are not expensive.

I got a new toy last week. Picked up an "Only Fire" rotisserie for the Weber 22 kettle. First rotisserie cook ever.
Also picked up some new to me "Green Egg Brazilian" lump charcoal for a test run.
I put two 7lb. chickens overnight in the Pollo ala Brasa marinade. Made an authentic Aji Verde sauce to pair with the birds. Both recipies are below for those curious to try it.
Set up the kettle for 2 indirect heat sources with a drip pan in the center. Loaded a chimney with the Brazilian lump and fired it up. Got to 400deg and put the trussed birds on the spit.
After 1 hour nice golden brown color IT at 140deg. 2 hours 150deg. 2.5 hours 165deg. and removed to rest.
Rested for 30 minutes and carved 'em up.

Served with plain white rice, broccoli florets, and the Aji Verde sauce. Home Run all around! This rotisserie is a keeper.

Here are the recipies followed by some pictures.

Aji Verde:
  • 2 green jalapeno peppers , seeded
  • 2 cups loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
  • 1 small clove garlic
  • 1 green onion , chopped
  • 2 teaspoons huacatay paste
  • 1 tablespoon aji amarillo paste
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
  • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 cup Cotija, Queso Fresco, or Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cup good quality mayonnaise
Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until a smooth paste. Keep refrigerated for up to a week. I doubled everything because my wife and kids loved it.

Pollo ala Brasa Marinade:

1/3 cup Soy sauce
Juice of 2 Limes
5 cloves of Garlic
3 tbsp Vegetable Oil
1 tbsp Huacatay Paste (important)
2 tbsp Aji Amarillo paste (important)
1 tsp Dried Oregano
1 tsp Kosher salt
1 tsp Black Pepper
1 tbsp Cumin

Blend ingredients in blender and pour over chicken in gallon size ziplock for overnight marinade. Remove from marinade pat dry, skewer and roast. Make Aji Verde the night before if possible. I doubled this as well since I was doing two chickens.

This took about 2.5 hours, I had to add more charcoal after the first hour to maintain temp at around 350-400. I have made this chicken in the oven before and it was really good. However grilling it with the rotisserie and the lump charcoal took it to a new level. Maybe the best bird I have had. Evenly cooked, moist, tender, perfect Dizzy Peruvian Chicken.
View attachment 643979View attachment 643984View attachment 643985View attachment 643986View attachment 643987

Hope you all try this. The Aji Verde sauce takes it to another level. I apologize for the lack of a plate picture I was not fast enough. Everything was gone in minutes.
If you have trouble sourcing the Aji Amarillo and the Huacatay paste it is available from Amazon. I found them in my neighborhood Latino Mercado. They are essential to the Verde.

What to spin next?

Bakerman
Yes sir!!

Reactions: bakerman
I too purchased an only fire rotisserie a few months ago and have done a few birds. Yours look killer! I also have those weber charcoal baskets. Years back (probably 20 or so....) we had a Peruvian restaurant pop up in Va Beach and I remember the chicken being awesome. Never had that flavor profile before. I'm gonna try this.

Looks phenomenal bakerman! the only fire is great, I have done ducks, chicken and turkey on it both with the lid on and off. Great job!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky