DIY kitchen remodel tips wanted

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sven Svensson

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 5, 2021
Sonoma County, California
I’d love to get some practical, experience-based tips from those you who have endured a kitchen remodel. I’m tearing out the old oak floors soon. The cabinets will follow as last-minute as I think we can handle. New custom cabinets arrive mid Feb that a contractor friend of mine will help me install. I will not DIY the countertop and new sink.

I know the fun will come when we lose the sink and stove. I do have capable convection ovens and even butane stovetop options. The cooking tent will be set up outside as our California atmospheric river shows no sign of stopping. Right now we’re eating a lot of prepackaged salads with protein (chicken, pork, beef, beans) so the stovetop might not be greatly missed.

Any survival tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

Any survival tips would be appreciated. Thanks.
I assume you'll still have a working fridge? For the cost of this compared to the cost of the remodel, it's really cheap so you might want to consider getting a 22" propane griddle and a bunch of propane canisters. You can do a LOT of stuff with those and they are cheap. If you already have 20# propane tanks, there is an attachment to hook the griddles to those versus the 1# tanks, which don't last long. The griddle can be used indoors or outdoors. It's no different than a gas cook top and when we had Snowvid a couple years ago and were without power, I did a lot of meals on the kitchen island with the griddle.

Robert

I’d love to get some practical, experience-based tips from those you who have endured a kitchen remodel.
Hire an interior designer and a contractor...:emoji_wink::emoji_laughing: When we did ours, it morphed into a bigger job where a couple of walls were removed and another moved, more than I could handle myself. Figured might as well do it they way we wanted the first time.

During the remodel, we used a spare bedroom as our "kitchen". Had a microwave, coffee maker, and toaster oven all on a fold out table, and fridge in there. Yes, it was cramped, but we made it work...

I was a union carpenter that also had a state general contractors license in CA. I did quite a few kitchen remos, there's always a lot of love starting out with some hatred at the finish line.
Just one bit of advice.....don't tear those cabinets out until you've laid eyes on the new ones and inventoried them twice, or even three times!

Great advice right there, you get to use them until the new arrives on a truck, and one never knows how long that can take. No sink? Use paper plates, the thick ones called Chinet at Costco do nicely. If you have a plan stick to it, changes cost time, and time is money. Like Robert said, you can get a lot of cooking done on a griddle and microwave, use the Weber when the weather allows. Have patience, you'll need some when your wife begins to hate you. RAY

Worst case, you can always use your bathroom sink for the small stuff and your tub for the larger items. Good luck and I hope it goes smoothly.

Chris

It is , for clothes .
Ok, I'll accept that. Still though, unlike the kitchen sink, no disposal needed or washing out the sink when dishes are all washed. Just pull the handle, get a beer, and go check out some TV. Not sure how the spin cycle would work for clothes though :emoji_laughing:

Robert

I assume you'll still have a working fridge? For the cost of this compared to the cost of the remodel, it's really cheap so you might want to consider getting a 22" propane griddle and a bunch of propane canisters. You can do a LOT of stuff with those and they are cheap. If you already have 20# propane tanks, there is an attachment to hook the griddles to those versus the 1# tanks, which don't last long. The griddle can be used indoors or outdoors. It's no different than a gas cook top and when we had Snowvid a couple years ago and were without power, I did a lot of meals on the kitchen island with the griddle.

Robert

It never even CROSSED MY MIND that I could use my propane griddle indoors! :emoji_face_palm:

As you were...

Back in 2011, Hubs and I tore our kitchen, moved a wall back 3 feet to give us more space, built wall between the kitchen and the dining, added 6 feet of counter, designed/built/installed our cabs, and replaced the flooring.

We rigged the sink section of the old counter so we'd have a usable sink and worked around the fridge and stove.

And of COURSE, he went on 6 days a week just as soon as the demo was done...4 months later, we finished.

I will NEVER attempt to do that much at one time again...EVER!

I wouldn't use a griddle indoors unless it was under a vented hood. That uses a lot of propane and puts off a lot of fumes, I use my 17 under my vented hood all the time with it running on high. Have fun on the remodel its not something folks do very often

It never even CROSSED MY MIND that I could use my propane griddle indoors!

I wouldn't use a griddle indoors unless it was under a vented hood.
This is a good idea Mike but I honestly don't believe it's required. I've built many, many houses that had a gas cook top in the island and no vent above. I know I cooked a lot of meals during Snowvid with my griddle on the island and had no issues at all. When you get down to brass tacks, there is no difference between a griddle and a gas cook top, just a different top: cast iron versus grates. All that said, if you do have the availability of putting it under a vented hood, it is definitely a good idea.

Robert

I been in the heat and air buisness since 1977 and have learned a lot,unless a gas appliance has ox sensors in it to cut it off i dont recommend it without a vent of some kind, looks like they are trying to get gas ranges outlawed, there is a lot of data on it. Not sure they can get it done in my lifetime

It's pretty easy to hit the net to get some information, i dont randomly give out advice without knowing something about the issue,

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky