• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Disco stir fry!

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 4, 2012
Wanted to give the Disco a test run after powder coating the burner. All performed great! Simple stir fry with left over tri tip.

Chopped Garlic and ginger in the dish

ENJOY!!!!

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 17, 2013
That's beautiful Case.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Very nice!

Looks delicious, Case!

Awesome!!

Points for sure!

Al

mr t 59874

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 9, 2011
The stir fry looks great case. How about some pics of Disco's new coating?

Tom

bdc3

Smoke Blower
Joined Apr 2, 2016
Is your pan made from a breaking disk? Did you power coat it or season it like cast iron?
That really is some good looking food![emoji]128077[/emoji]

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 4, 2012
Is your pan made from a breaking disk? Did you power coat it or season it like cast iron?
That really is some good looking food![emoji]128077[/emoji]
Yelp it's a disc off a harrow. The axle hole was filled in. This sucker is hefty. Weighs 49# and is about 1/2" thick where the axle hole was!

I had it sandblasted then season it just like cast iron using flaxseed oil. 5 initial coats. Now it just gets whatever oil I am cooking withstand which recently has been peanut oil. Water and if needed coarse salt for clean up.

Last edited:

atomicsmoke

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 3, 2014
Even a doctor would recommend this meal: both awesome and healthy. Great cook.

Does Disco know you are testing it (him?) out?

tropics

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 25, 2014
Case don't know how I missed this one,that is probably the finest stir fry I ever seen.Still looking for the tri tip maybe in Ga. Points

Richie

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 4, 2012

Case don't know how I missed this one,that is probably the finest stir fry I ever seen.Still looking for the tri tip maybe in Ga. Points

Richie
Thanks Richie! If you can't find it in GA. you may have to make a trip out to the Left Coast!

serkel

Joined Jan 28, 2016

Hey DirtSailor, seems that you're the discada authority on this subject.

Here's mine that I've been working on it, of course with the help from the guys at work.  I wasn't sure how to season the discada. I started with some good cooking oil , thru in a bunch of onions until that started to burn. The center of the wok started to look seasoned. Then I saw a video from Central America and they were using beef fat, and they got it hot enough to set fire to it, well I did the same, got some beef fat got it hot enough to set it on fire. All I was able to accomplish is to get the entire disk gummy with burnt beef fat. It looks like it will might come off with elbow grease (pardon the pun) maybe a scouring pad or I was even thinking of using an orange degreaser. I also have a spray can of engine degreaser, but I'm afraid to use it because it might leave  some kind of after taste. What do you think of my options?

What did you guys (DirtSailor)  use to season your discada?

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Looks Great, Case!!
-----------

Sorry I'm so late!!

Mrs Bear Loves Stir Fry.

Yours looks Awesome!

Bear

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 4, 2012

Hey DirtSailor, seems that you're the discada authority on this subject.

Here's mine that I've been working on it, of course with the help from the guys at work.  I wasn't sure how to season the discada. I started with some good cooking oil , thru in a bunch of onions until that started to burn. The center of the wok started to look seasoned. Then I saw a video from Central America and they were using beef fat, and they got it hot enough to set fire to it, well I did the same, got some beef fat got it hot enough to set it on fire. All I was able to accomplish is to get the entire disk gummy with burnt beef fat. It looks like it will might come off with elbow grease (pardon the pun) maybe a scouring pad or I was even thinking of using an orange degreaser. I also have a spray can of engine degreaser, but I'm afraid to use it because it might leave  some kind of after taste. What do you think of my options?

What did you guys (DirtSailor)  use to season your discada?
My initial seasoning was after I had the disc sand blasted. Then I did like I do with all of my cast iron. I used a very thin layer of flax seed oil. Wipe it on with a lint free rag and really rub it in, so all you see is a sheen. Then heat it up. I like to be around 400-425 for 1-2 hours. Let cool repeat. I did 3 coats on this one. Then it's whatever oils I'm cooking with. After my cook with the disc still hot I'll hit it with water and my mop to clean. That's it. Let it dry.

Last edited:

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.