Disco stir fry!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
Wanted to give the Disco a test run after powder coating the burner. All performed great! Simple stir fry with left over tri tip.

Chopped Garlic and ginger in the dish

ENJOY!!!!

Is your pan made from a breaking disk? Did you power coat it or season it like cast iron?
That really is some good looking food![emoji]128077[/emoji]

Is your pan made from a breaking disk? Did you power coat it or season it like cast iron?
That really is some good looking food![emoji]128077[/emoji]

Yelp it's a disc off a harrow. The axle hole was filled in. This sucker is hefty. Weighs 49# and is about 1/2" thick where the axle hole was!

I had it sandblasted then season it just like cast iron using flaxseed oil. 5 initial coats. Now it just gets whatever oil I am cooking withstand which recently has been peanut oil. Water and if needed coarse salt for clean up.

Last edited:
Man, that looks great Disco! Great pics!
points.gif

Case don't know how I missed this one,that is probably the finest stir fry I ever seen.Still looking for the tri tip maybe in Ga. Points

Richie

Case don't know how I missed this one,that is probably the finest stir fry I ever seen.Still looking for the tri tip maybe in Ga. Points

Richie
Thanks Richie! If you can't find it in GA. you may have to make a trip out to the Left Coast!

Hey DirtSailor, seems that you're the discada authority on this subject.

Here's mine that I've been working on it, of course with the help from the guys at work.  I wasn't sure how to season the discada. I started with some good cooking oil , thru in a bunch of onions until that started to burn. The center of the wok started to look seasoned. Then I saw a video from Central America and they were using beef fat, and they got it hot enough to set fire to it, well I did the same, got some beef fat got it hot enough to set it on fire. All I was able to accomplish is to get the entire disk gummy with burnt beef fat. It looks like it will might come off with elbow grease (pardon the pun) maybe a scouring pad or I was even thinking of using an orange degreaser. I also have a spray can of engine degreaser, but I'm afraid to use it because it might leave  some kind of after taste. What do you think of my options?

What did you guys (DirtSailor)  use to season your discada?

Looks Great, Case!!
drool.gif
-----------
points.gif

Sorry I'm so late!!

Mrs Bear Loves Stir Fry.

Yours looks Awesome!
drool.gif

Bear

Hey DirtSailor, seems that you're the discada authority on this subject.

Here's mine that I've been working on it, of course with the help from the guys at work.  I wasn't sure how to season the discada. I started with some good cooking oil , thru in a bunch of onions until that started to burn. The center of the wok started to look seasoned. Then I saw a video from Central America and they were using beef fat, and they got it hot enough to set fire to it, well I did the same, got some beef fat got it hot enough to set it on fire. All I was able to accomplish is to get the entire disk gummy with burnt beef fat. It looks like it will might come off with elbow grease (pardon the pun) maybe a scouring pad or I was even thinking of using an orange degreaser. I also have a spray can of engine degreaser, but I'm afraid to use it because it might leave  some kind of after taste. What do you think of my options?

What did you guys (DirtSailor)  use to season your discada?

My initial seasoning was after I had the disc sand blasted. Then I did like I do with all of my cast iron. I used a very thin layer of flax seed oil. Wipe it on with a lint free rag and really rub it in, so all you see is a sheen. Then heat it up. I like to be around 400-425 for 1-2 hours. Let cool repeat. I did 3 coats on this one. Then it's whatever oils I'm cooking with. After my cook with the disc still hot I'll hit it with water and my mop to clean. That's it. Let it dry.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky