Disabled man needs advice (Moved to Charcoal Smokers Forum)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I am in a similar boat - I have had 8 strofes and 3 major heart attacks (so far)I used a home built smokehouse for many years until I was unable to toss in wood chunks to feed the fire (fall over, lose my balance, plus multiple things from all my strokes I have had. My youngest son bought a Camp Chef pellet grill, and it is simply "set and forget". To cook a brisket, put it in, insert the probe, Turn it to High Smoke and walk away! Start it at 10 pm and it is done by 12 noon. Simple as that! Take it off and slice! No fire-tending, just refill the pellets! Temp stays at 225° all by itself, no adjustments!

Hey, these are great, heart-warming stories. None or us are getting any younger or stronger. Adaptation to new realities is the secret of live.

I am in a similar boat - I have had 8 strofes and 3 major heart attacks (so far)I used a home built smokehouse for many years until I was unable to toss in wood chunks to feed the fire (fall over, lose my balance, plus multiple things from all my strokes I have had. My youngest son bought a Camp Chef pellet grill, and it is simply "set and forget". To cook a brisket, put it in, insert the probe, Turn it to High Smoke and walk away! Start it at 10 pm and it is done by 12 noon. Simple as that! Take it off and slice! No fire-tending, just refill the pellets! Temp stays at 225° all by itself, no adjustments!

Can you easily open and close the lid while seated in a chair?
Would a camp chef STX 24 work? Looks like a great smoker

Last edited:
I have firmly decided I will get the Camp Chef 24" Deluxe. I went to Home Depot yesterday and had no problems whatsoever opening and closing the lids on any grills!! Yay! I'll keep you guys posted. Thank you all for all your help! Cheers from South Texas!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky